Chimney Cap Cleaning solution needed...help please....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtj53

Feb 16, 2009
Northwest Illinois
I've researched this on the board, & haven't found where anyone has mentioned this yet. I have a very steep snow covered roof, usually stays that way all winter so that doesn't allow for cleaning from up top. I have the RSF Opel 2, and I can easily clean the entire chimney from inside my house, however, the probelm I have run into is the chimney cap. By looking up from inside it seems the first stage of creosote is sort of a very light film that starts in the screen. I do have a bit of creosote buildup around the very edge top of the cap also. My poly brush has a loop on the end for tying a rope to, so closest I can get to the cap is 1 1/2" or so. Even if that loop weren't there though, the top of the brush is perfectly flat. Tapping the cap gently with the hook on top of the brush knocks some of that creosote off. I'm not talking about much creosote at all, but I'd feel better if it was spotless when I am done cleaning. Is there a product/tool available that a guy can use to put on the end of the rods so it gently cleans any small amount of creosote that is still clinging to the cap between the screen? Possibly a small "domed shape" poly brush?
Thanks in advance for the help, always appreciated!

I recently encountered the same problem with a clean flue and blocked cap. I took the brush off all together, put the rod all the way up the chimney, and whipped the metal end of the rod back and forth wacking into all sides of the cap for 2-3 minutes. Walked across the yard and looked at the cap with the binoculars and it all looked good. Lit a fire and it drafted well.

Shot gun! :lol:

Seriously, sometimes it's just better to leave the cap off during the burning season and put it back on in the Spring to keep the critters out.

Well, I'm sort of embarrassed to say this and I would never recommend or endorse this method at all, but lets say I knew a guy who once used a BB gun to knock the creosote off his cap during a snow storm. It worked. Just don't miss. And don't ever ever ever try this. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.