chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esox

Dec 9, 2011
NE PA
I have been trying to find a 7x7 chimney cap that fits inside my masonry liner. The liner is flush with the top of the chimney. All the caps I'm seeing are for clamping on the outside however I did find 1 that can be anchored down but would like to avoid that if possible. My original cap lasted 28 years which I bought when I built the house and dont remember it being an issue at the time. I bought it here locally in a small supply house and it fit perfectly and served me well. Cant seem to find what I'm looking for searching the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is the best I have seen for a situation like this. Never used them, and not sure how they'd do in the wind. But they look like they attach to a regular cap (not sure if they only fit this place's brand or not) so that it can grab the inside of the chimney for situations like yours.

http://www.fireplace-chimneystore.com/catalog/item/1400775/862120.htm

Picture_356.jpg

pen

go to chinmey liner Depot they sell all kinds. Ones for liner tops and masonry clay flue tile clamp on ones ones that clamp and the top is hindged for easy cleaning. There plenty.

Just would like to to say thankyou for your help. I basically found 3 options. A cap with the legs as you posted Pen, a cap that screws down to the crown base and a cap that fastens to the perimeter of the bricks. I chose the cap with the legs in stainless. Not the least expensive choice but I think it will be the easiest for me due to the need of frequent cleaning for my old Fisher. Purchased it from Fireplace mall.com. They were very helpfull. Thanks again, Dave.

Let us know how you are doing a ways down the road, so that we know more about the product for the next time someone is in this spot.

Best luck,

A quick follow up on the chimney cap.
Installed it a week ago and no problems. Had to tweek the legs inward a bit in the vise so as not to put too much pressure on the mounting area for the legs. Snug enough not to blow off during a wind storm and still easily removable. Stainless, $104 and I'd say its a quality cap. I'm also noticing an improvement on the chimney exterior with less creosote. The old cap had inside flanges which allowed a minumal amount of smoke to escape on the outside of the inner flanges and cause the smoke to roll to the outside and down the bricks on slow burn. The legs on the new cap I believe are causing less restriction and allowing the exhaust to exit straight out.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.