Chimney caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U.P.Boiler

Nov 15, 2015
Michigan , UP, Moran
So had an issue with my Hawken HE-1100 and figuered I'd turn it to the community to help me out. In the U.P. we had some gales the past few days and ended up having a boil over with a light load of wood inside. Im curious as to what is everyone running as far as a chimney cap ? I currently have one but i think its design is flawed and is keeping moisture in the stove as well as allowing wind to draw air at an increased flow causing the stove to act like the blower was on. Im getting large amounts of creosote in the stove and moisture mixed with it dripping from the door. Ill be replacing the door gasket this weekend. But wonder if anyone has ever had the boil over issue figuered out????

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

is your unit a forced draft unit or natural draft?

A chimney caps job is just to keep water and snow out of the chimney.

Your bad door gasket is the culprit in this incident.

I would look at the Rockford Chimney Supply web site for
a possible solution first and then think about a pair of elbows coming
off the stack with the second elbow facing down to reduce the potential for an overheating incident
as it would be less affected by high winds.

Reads like a classic case of green/wet wood = creosote. Might be made worse by the chimney cap if the cap got plugged or partially plugged by creosote. As to boil over, the boiler needs a place to get rid of the heat stored in the water, and if insufficient demand, plus poor boiler design by failing to shut down when hi-limit was reached, and/or allowing air to continue to reach the fire after shut down, the result easily could be boil over.

Your prior thread on Hawken going out of business leads me to believe that Hawken products might have bad a lot or problems.

Wood is 2 year old slab wood scraps.
I think I've tracked the culprit to a aquastat made by Honeywell. And a new one is on its way.
So as far as design flaw by hawken.... not the case.
As far as them going out of business is more of the issue with recent regulation change having a negative impact on a small business.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.