Chimney cleaning and sealing problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sclarke

Oct 21, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have been searching the forum and looking around for some time but thought I would post something in hopes that I might get some help. the house really smells bad and I know it is from the creosote and the air/humidity entering the chimney. I have cleaned the chimney and the flue with a wire brush and vacuumed everything I can. I tried stuffing pillows where the vent is but it still smells. smells in the hallway worse. maybe a leak somewhere? I don't know. obviously its summer and we do not use it so my guess is that the humidity is making the smell worse. so do I need to seal the top of the chimney? I know some people suggest a chimney balloon but I have heard mixed reviews and they are like $60. any tips would really help our marriage right now.
thanks

In my experience $60 is a small price to pay to have a happy wife. Maybe try a test run with a punching balloon or something. If it helps, spend the $60 for the real chimney balloon.

Do you have a stainless liner or just a masonry chimney with clay liner? I don't understand what you did with the pillows?

A couple of possible suggestions.

1) Place a candle in the stove and light it . . . it may provide enough of a draft to move the smell up and out the chimney . . . plus you can satisfy any lingering effects of wanting to see a fire in the stove during the summer.

2) Some folks have placed a box of baking soda in the woodstove to counteract the effects of the creosote smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.