1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney cleaning and sealing problem

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by sclarke, Jul 1, 2013.

1. sclarke

sclarke Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have been searching the forum and looking around for some time but thought I would post something in hopes that I might get some help. the house really smells bad and I know it is from the creosote and the air/humidity entering the chimney. I have cleaned the chimney and the flue with a wire brush and vacuumed everything I can. I tried stuffing pillows where the vent is but it still smells. smells in the hallway worse. maybe a leak somewhere? I don't know. obviously its summer and we do not use it so my guess is that the humidity is making the smell worse. so do I need to seal the top of the chimney? I know some people suggest a chimney balloon but I have heard mixed reviews and they are like $60. any tips would really help our marriage right now.
    thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    In my experience $60 is a small price to pay to have a happy wife. Maybe try a test run with a punching balloon or something. If it helps, spend the $60 for the real chimney balloon.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Do you have a stainless liner or just a masonry chimney with clay liner? I don't understand what you did with the pillows?
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A couple of possible suggestions.

1) Place a candle in the stove and light it . . . it may provide enough of a draft to move the smell up and out the chimney . . . plus you can satisfy any lingering effects of wanting to see a fire in the stove during the summer.

2) Some folks have placed a box of baking soda in the woodstove to counteract the effects of the creosote smell.