Chimney Cleaning: Englander 30 vs. Fisher Grandma Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
I have a 7 1/4 x 7 1/4 exterior clay tile lined brick chimney.

Chimney is easy to clean off of a 4/12 pitch roof so it gets inspected and cleaned monthly.

This has been the first full month of burning (24/7y no breaks for warm weather) while burning the new Englander 30 stove.

This cleaning resulted in about 1 cup worth of small, granular like creostote.

While doing the equivalent cleaning with the old grandma bear fisher in previous years, I would have gotten at least 2 if not 3 cups of similar looking creosote.

In all, I am very pleased with this reduction of creosote.

I will be installing a liner next year and hope that it will reduce this even further.

Just wanted to share the best "apples to apples" experience I could as far as having a modern stove improve chimney cleanliness.

pen

Thanks for the post. I am willing to bet that after the liner is installed that stuff will be just light powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.