Chimney cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

homeheater

Oct 28, 2017
ft wayne
New to fire place burning, we are using a fire place in a manufactured home with a metal chimney, should I use a chimney cleaning product like the one you put in the fire? Do they do any good?

Burning properly will be your best bet at keeping the chimney clean. Avoid poorly seasoned wood for the best results.

No. A chimney should be physically checked for any unsafe condition or build ups of 3mm or greater annually. If any build up is found it should be swept with a brush or whip. A chimney sweeping log does not accomplish this.

Reactions: begreen
I sweep once over the summer, one more when winter weather starts (because I accumulate the most crud when the weather's warm, because I'm burning very low), and one more when spring kicks in and I'm burning low all the time again.

Running a brush through doesn't take much longer than checking does.

I would always recommend checking and cleaning when nescessary. I burn a lot of wood and clean once a year.

The recommendations I gave are from our firecode in BC.