Cleaned my chimney yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jsjac1

Sep 4, 2023
Warner NH
Cleaned my chimney yesterday.
I usually try to do it the week between Christmas and New Year's.
We were all sick for a few weeks.
When I cleaned the chimney I only got about a half a one pound butter tub of creosote.
That is out of a 26 foot class A chimney.

IMG_20240206_143310586.jpg IMG_20240206_143301894.jpg

Looks good mostly powder. How much do you burn?

Cleaned my chimney yesterday.
I usually try to do it the week between Christmas and New Year's.
We were all sick for a few weeks.
When I cleaned the chimney I only got about a half a one pound butter tub of creosote.
That is out of a 26 foot class A chimney.

View attachment 324483 View attachment 324484

When was it last cleaned? I have 6-8’ of double wall into a similar length of class A. I clean every fall and never get any creosote like the left picture and maybe a similar amount of fine powder like the right picture. That is after a full season burning with 99% of my heat coming from wood (the +- 1% is if I go away).

I cleaned my flue yesterday too. I got a little bit of soot out of the pipe, but nothing bad at all. I clean it every month too tho.

I have burned 3 to 3½ cords of wood so far.
I cleaned it at the end of the burning season last spring.
We get about 80% of our heat from the wood stove.
We get our hot water off of our oil burner as well. We use 241 gallons of oil last year. I did not think that was bad . Less than a gallon a day.
When I had the wood boiler we bought no oil for sixteen years. But we burned about 10 cords of wood a year.
When we had the Papa Bear stove I used to get a five gallon buck of stuff out of the chimney. Glad those days are gone.

Reactions: kcmclellan
We get maybe 2 or 3 cups of grey black ash out of our 17-18 foot straight stack during annual clean-out using a soot eater. Burning all hardwood. Amount burned? Depends on the winter, last year and the year before was around 3 cord this year its looking like 2 maybe less if mild temps hold up.