Do I really need to clean chimney every year??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My wife made me move the Xmas tree last year. She thought it was too close to the stove. It wasn’t but I moved it 😊

Reactions: thewoodlands
We clean our stove every month, give or take a few days. Its overkill, but like that was said.....its not hard, so why not just do it?

Reactions: 30WCF
We clean our stove every month, give or take a few days. Its overkill, but like that was said.....its not hard, so why not just do it?
Because I'm not willing to shut my stove down once a month. And it's not needed with a proper setup and proper operation

Last edited:
Reactions: cahaak
Sweep guy said my Terra-cotta lining was starting to degrade and my chimney crown had a crack in it. Will need to pit in a liner and have the crown replaced next year for the Oil Side. They will put a single top cap on and waterproof at that point.

I do not know if this applies all over North America, however the true certified sweeps/technicians here during their visit with you do not only sweep the chimney, they inspect it as well, once inside the house they clean the full length of stove pipe, they remove and inspect it as well to ensure its integrity, they do the same with the stove, they clean, remove all firebricks, baffle and all insulation, inspect it and reassemble everything ensuring gaskets, levers/controls all operate perfectly. I have been using the same person for the last 15 +years, mechanically he knows my installation better than I do.
For peace of mind I get it done every year with the same chap, we burn 8-10 face cords per year.
you are lucky to have that much attention to detail when you get your stove serviced. my local fella would come in, clean the chimney (take off the bottom section, put on a bag with a shop vac hose stuck in it, sweep the chimney) and leave for $250 bucks. i've decided i'd rather do it myself and spend the money in other,
more fun, places! LOL

Sweep guy said my Terra-cotta lining was starting to degrade and my chimney crown had a crack in it. Will need to pit in a liner and have the crown replaced next year for the Oil Side. They will put a single top cap on and waterproof at that point.
pictures or it's a scam..

pictures or it's a scam..
. The sweep may or may not be honest- regardless of pictures.
Best not to suggest to the OP it may be a scam with no info supporting that.

. The sweep may or may not be honest- regardless of pictures.
Best not to suggest to the OP it may be a scam with no info supporting that.
So he showed me the pitting of the lining in real time on a camera where the furnace connects. Attached is a Drone photo of the cracks in the crown. Maybe Bholler can see something on that Since he is a Sweep

chimneycrown.jpeg

So he showed me the pitting of the lining in real time on a camera where the furnace connects. Attached is a Drone photo of the cracks in the crown. Maybe Bholler can see something on that Since he is a Sweep

View attachment 319039
Yeah looks like typical crown without an expansion joint around the liner. It needs replaced

Yeah looks like typical crown without an expansion joint around the liner. It needs replaced
Can you see anything about the liner condition from that photo?