1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I have off until after the new year, so i did a mid season cleaning before the snow and sleet arrive. I used a 16 oz cool whip container that fits perfectly in the flue to catch the junk. When finished I was pretty pleased to see 8oz worth considering I have been burning for 3 months. The cap needed some scrubbing with a wire brush here and there.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    job well done!
  3. MnDave

MnDave Guest

How much wood? Length of chimney?
    Do you use chemicals?
    Doesn't look too shiny. EPA stove?

MnDave
  4. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Burn 24/7 jotul castine F400 18' stack, no chem. Mostly fly ash, cap had some shine. Burned on and off in Oct, burned more during week after sandy w no power, November, and December.
    MnDave likes this.
  5. MnDave

MnDave Guest

Thanks WellSeasoned. I plan to brush mine on Monday. I have burned about a cord sofar. This is a new installation of my first EPA stove. The creosote with my previous stove was not bad but shiny and I did use the chemicals.

I want to get away from using the chemicals.

MnDave
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Congratulations WS. You are getting there. I'll bet you will continue to keep on getting better too.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

You got that right! The more I cut, the more ahead I get. Now, I'm just waiting on time