1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney clearances

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Geoff, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Loc:
    NH
    I've been searching around and I can't find the answer, so its time to ask:

What clearances to combustables is required for a masonry chimney lined with clay flue tile? My chimney is lined with flue tile and I think it is constructed of masonry blocks (although most of what is visable is surrounded by bricks for asthetics). It looks like I probably have a 1" air gap between the blocks and the flue tile (not sure on that). Is the measurement taken from the flue tile or the masonry blocks? What about if a layer of bricks is also surrounding the masonry blocks (with or without an air gap)? Is the clearance the same if a flexible stainless steel liner is put into the masonry liner?

Thanks in advance!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    THis is from memory so if I'm wrong someone please correct me. An interior brick chimney should have 2" of clearance to combustible framing members. An exterior chimney should have 1". Between the flue tile and brick should be a min of 1" airspace. I think that there is also a maximum of 4"-6" space between flue tile and brick as well. With a properly insulated stainless liner I believe you can have "0" clearance to the combustible framing members of the home.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.