Chimney connection - seems wrong to me, advice, thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously a well installed (and sealed) block of plate is preferable to just insulation, but a poorly installed block off plate can leak just as badly, or worse, than stuffed insulation. I would do both myself.
However, if you are going to rely on just insulation, best to make sure it's sealed as best it can be.
Well said!

I agree with this statement. I would much preferred them to have installed a block off plate, however if the Roxul is well compressed and filling the void it will do an adequate job of keeping the draft down and heat loss at a minimum.

Is this something I can install with my insert and liner in place or do I need to pull it out (leaving the flex liner obviously)?

Obviously a well installed (and sealed) block of plate is preferable to just insulation, but a poorly installed block off plate can leak just as badly, or worse, than stuffed insulation. I would do both myself.
However, if you are going to rely on just insulation, best to make sure it's sealed as best it can be.

I've never installed a block off plate, but I might venture to guess that the best way to go about it would be to pull out the insert, push the liner up out of the way a bit, get your measurements, and cut a template out of cardboard, and transfer that template to a suitable sheet metal material. Then after testing that the new metal block off plate fits properly mark a hole the size of your liner in the metal plate precisely where the liner will drops through and cut it out. This last part looks like it would be a bit tricky in yours install because the liner comes down on an angle and would require that the hole be cut somewhat oblong. I think it would be hard to get a perfect seal, and would require some sort of gasket sealing material.

Perhaps Hogwildz knows a better way to install one?

I installed my block off plate with the insert & liner in place. Was not the funnest thing I ever did, but I was able to get the job done. Can be especially tough if only minimal space between top of the insert and the work space your installing the block off plate into.

Status
Not open for further replies.