Chimney Crock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Here's my question . . .

The wife and I are going to be framing up our basement wall behind our wood stove and then putting up some stone. We are going to frame it with metal studs, and use cement board. We have a terra cotta crock coming through our block wall, do we need to use some sort of insulated thimble or because of using metal studs and cement board can the terra cotta crock just pass through the new wall without any sort of thimble?

Everything I read so far talks about wood studs, and clearances, etc. Can't seem to find anything on this specific way of framing.

I guess my concern is before the crock could just radiate heat into the basement but with it now being between two metal studs the heat will rise up to my floor Joice, which is about 36" away.

Thanks guys

It sounds like it could be ok, the main issue is honoring clearances to combustibles. There needs to be 12" from combustibles in all directions. To be sure you're ok it would help to see a picture of the current setup and a sketch with dimensions of what is being proposed.Here is an article that shows what's required at a minimum for a safe install.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

Yep, clearance to combustibles really hasn't changed because of the use of all non-flammable materials. However, if you are creating a chimney effect inside of a wall cavity, even if you still meet C to C, you may want to put a fire break and insulate the run above the clay. Simply cutting a metal stud to fit between the studs (like making a header) should do it. Insulate above that if you have concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.