Q&A Chimney exhaust fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi, It has been suggested to me that I need an exhaust fan for my wood burning fireplace. The fire does not burn well even with the most seasoned dry wood. I open a window at 20 outside and that helps but I still can get some smoke inside even when it is not windy outside. the chimney cleaners told me that the stack is not high enough on the apt. building (in NYC) I'm in. There are taller buildings around us. they suggested either a convection type fan to help draw out the smoke or an electric one. What do you know about these types of fans and where can I or (the others on my side of the building) get them??

They work! I had to use one for years for a coal boiler in my basement. Two companies that make them:

Answer:

Field Controls (available at many plumbing supplies) - Relatively lower cost, but effective

Exhausto - High quality (and expensive) European made units.

Your chimney sweep or HVAC person should have more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.