Chimney fire false alarm... Adrenaline pumpin...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
So last night, I'm sitting in the den, drinkin a beer, watching the new Terminator movie.
I start to hear a roar coming from the house, the ceiling starts shaking...

%&$#, chimney fire... I just cleaned the flue 3 weeks ago. Shut everything down and call 911 right away (as I have been taught on here)...

I get up, shut everything down, I am freaking out, hearing the sound of a locomotive shaking the house. I pick up the phone and press 9-1 and spaceship flies by and the surround sound bass stops rumbling.

Not a good feeling, but better than the real thing. Thanks to this forum though, I knew the procedure. It was like a drill. My response time was pretty quick. Maybe 10 seconds from the couch to the stove to the phone...

Damn that 5.1 sound system. So realistic eh?

Oh, if you ever dial 9-1-1 and there isn't a real emergency, don't just hang up. Better to say it was a mistake or they will call back and you will have some 'splainin to do. My wife hung up on them one time and when the called back, I picked up. It took some convincing that I wasn't an assailant. Had to put the wife on the line to 'fess up and ease their concern.

LLigetfa said:
Oh, if you ever dial 9-1-1 and there isn't a real emergency, don't just hang up. Better to say it was a mistake or they will call back and you will have some 'splainin to do. My wife hung up on them one time and when the called back, I picked up. It took some convincing that I wasn't an assailant. Had to put the wife on the line to 'fess up and ease their concern.

Sounds like a "Domestic" case to me.....

Try an actual family drill next time. Less calling 911.
Including the family meeting point.

Congrats on cleaning your chimney flue. Well done.
Keep warm and burn safely.

We have a train tracks about 500 yards due west of us. The sound is just about right in the house that every time one goes by, I think OK, is it a train or a flue fire? So I wait to hear the conductor blow his horn for the crossing. Sometimes I don't hear that and have to go check. Sometimes in the middle of the night it scars the crap out of me. Never had a flue fire in 30 years but every time that dang train goes by, I stop and listen. lol

Ya, it definitely was up there on the not-a-good-feeling list...

Now imagine hearing that sound, but not having the train tracks to link it to.

We are in the approach path of both a major airport and also a busy local general aviation airport. I would like to have a dime for every time over the years I have had to determine if it was a flue fire or a 747 making a low approach because of weather.

I am convinced that back in the small flue fire days with the old stove that the reason I never knew when we had one was that I thought it was an airplane.

Congratulations . . . had this not been a test and been the real deal you would have passed with flying colors.

Oh, gawd! I just about spit out the soda I was drinking when I read it was a movie! Fun-ny - but you responded correctly! Good for you!

Shari

k3c4forlife said:
So last night, I'm sitting in the den, drinkin a beer, watching the new Terminator movie.
I start to hear a roar coming from the house, the ceiling starts shaking...

%&$#, chimney fire... I just cleaned the flue 3 weeks ago. Shut everything down and call 911 right away (as I have been taught on here)...

I get up, shut everything down, I am freaking out, hearing the sound of a locomotive shaking the house. I pick up the phone and press 9-1 and spaceship flies by and the surround sound bass stops rumbling.

Not a good feeling, but better than the real thing. Thanks to this forum though, I knew the procedure. It was like a drill. My response time was pretty quick. Maybe 10 seconds from the couch to the stove to the phone...

That has got to be one absolutely rockin home theater setup you got there!

600 watts... 150 in the sub

My house is about 150' from RR tracks. I wonder if I ever missed a chimney fire because I thought it was a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.