Q&A Chimney fire- What is the result?

QandA Posted By QandA, Oct 5, 2001 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    QandA
    New Member 2.
    NULL
    
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012
    0
    6
    Question:

    I live in a newer house with a Brick fireplace and chimney. It meets all local codes. If I had a chimney fire what disaster could happen and after the fire would all the creosote be burned out?



    Answer:

    Chimney fires can be small and go virtually undetected, or they can be huge and very noticeable. Common wisdom says that you want to try to avoid a chimney fire. A good size chimney fire in a masonry chimney would likely break the flue tile liners inside and render it useless without major repair costs. Under very extreme conditions, the heat could spread to ceiling joists and or roof rafters, which could catch fire.

    My general advice is to avoid a chimney fire. There is an excellent product on the market called "Chimfex" which will help snuff out chimney fires. The Chimfex is built similar to a flare and suppresses the fire by filling up the chimney with a mixture of gases that smother the flame of the fire.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page