Chimney fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Turn down the stat to reduce useable air while in open bypass mode? Should be able to cure his issue I would think. Worth a try for sure.
That's just a band aide on a potentially bigger issue, high draft even with the air turned down will suck out heated air faster from the fire box giving cooler cat temps and less heat into the room which then causes the user to turn the t-stat up more which then reduces burn times, uses more fuel, potential cat plugging / clogging issues and a bad user experience.

About one hour did not even have a chance to Close the bypass.
Just curious....why did you run it for so long with the by pass open? It should not take anywhere near a hour for the cat temp to be up and the by pass closed..

Sooo? When did we deduce the OP had a overdraft issue after hearing only that he had a apparent self induced problem after operating the stove very inappropriately? Why not give his setup the benefit of the doubt by operating the stove in a normal fashion a try or 2 before jumping to conclusions? Or is this idea off base for some reason? Worth a shot Id think.
Guessing I may see some escaping embers/burnt residue etc. from the cap if I left my bypass wide open for a hour on a full load_g Dunno. Never been down that road!
Good luck OP. Read you operators manual and follow it. Let us know how that works!

Sooo? When did we deduce the OP had a overdraft issue
I was only answering your question about running a t-stat on low and it not working out as well.

There really is no point in further discussion unless the op comes back and answers a few questions.

Again we have no clue what the issue is so we can't say something would absolutely cure it.