Wood Stove Sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am in the same boat as you (Upnort). https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-final-four-stove-bracket.203607/. This is my post similar to yours. I love the looks of the SoapStones but am going to go with a BK princess or Ashford 30. My dad has had a king(?) since the mid 80’s and swears by it. He has only bought 1 extra catalyst for it and swaps back and forth between the original and other one. He has an 8” flue and like you he goes up about20” to a 90, then into a 11” x(?)” masonry flue. Heats his 1800 sqft house great. We are in a milder climate than you though. He gets the fire going good and shuts it down through the cat. keeps the control toward the lower end. Nice deep fire box as well. He burns good dry locust wood, but I’m positive when I still lived at home we would cut wood in the summer and burn it toward the end of heatig season after year before wood was gone.

Reactions: Upnort
Like most have said, I think either Jotul would do the job, but think the F55 would be my preference, for 2 reasons. Maine is cold, and most of us tend to think of the ideal scenario, perfect drafting chimney, super dry wood, etc. But in reality, most of us are in the 50-75% of the perfect scenario, so the two stoves would do fine, but if you need a little extra horsepower, the F55 could still make up the heat needed. Weight of a stove has a lot to do with heat output (thermal mass), these two stoves are about 40-50 lbs apart in weight. Either Jotul would seemingly be a great choice to pick. Still, remember good dry seasoned wood is a must for any stove chosen. Stay warm.