Chimney Fix Estimate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
Had the annual chimney cleaning done recently on the set up that was in the house when I purchased it 6 years ago. The same company has done all 5 cleanings, although not always the same guys, usually the owner has done it himself. Recently two of his guys did it and when finished, they asked me if I knew that the Excel stainless liner did not go all the way to the top. Told them I had no idea. They got up on the roof to double check and said, yup that's the situation and that soot was falling down between the liner and the outer pipe. Talked about fixing it and they said the owner would send a proposal. I got it the other day and was a bit surprised at the quoted cost and not pleasantly. They want $1125.00 to "Lift chimney from support bracket, clean out soot deposits in area between the two chimneys. Install a 12" section of Excel chimney, rain guard and Excel cap.

I thought it would be about half that cost, maybe $600 or so. The chimney already has a cap, so don't know why that's in there. $1125 seems like alot for what, $100 in material, heck he probably has lots of 12" pieces of Excel pipe laying around, and not more than a couple hours labor.

I wrote back to him, asking if indeed the quote was correct and that he'd need to really sharpen his pencil if he wanted the job. Haven't heard back yet. I'm going to solicit a couple of other bids.

Anyone had similar repair done? Does their $1125.00 quote seem high or not. See the photos of the set up in question.

Attachments

• Chimney1.jpg
    Chimney1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Chimney2.jpg
    Chimney2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 210
Not following this. Based on the posted pictures it doesn't look like this setup would have a liner. Normally that is installed in a masonry or ZC chimney to bring it up to code.

From what they told me, and as I see it, it's a single wall pipe out of the stove and the liner starts where it goes thru the ceiling in the first picture, from there through the 2nd floor and out the roof it is double walled stove pipe.

OK, that's unusual. Not sure how they secured the liner to the support box, and whether it's insulated. That makes me kind of suspicious about the whole thing. They are right, it's dangerous to have creosote accumulating around the liner.

It looks like the old chimney and flashing are galvanized and rusting. It may be time to replace the chimney + flashing and eliminate the liner. I'd do that before spending $1125 on the current setup.

its hard to tell from the pic but doesn't that look like double wall from the stove to the ceiling support box? Doesn't really matter I guess but with single wall wouldn't that wooden beam be a possible clearance issue? Also if it were mine, I'd be going up on the roof and wanting to see this 'liner' in there. Because what's coming out of the roof is chimney pipe like it should be and what's gong up to the ceiling in your other picture is stovepipe whether single or double like it should be.

It's single-wall stove pipe. I'm wondering if the chimney pipe is old air-cooled triple wall and someone stuck some liner down it to make it a bit better insulated. But that sure doesn't explain how a) the liner is connected, and b) why it stops short.

On the picture of the stovepipe look closely on the right hand side where it goes into the stove. That kind of a 'gap' made me wonder if it was double wall stovepipe. But regardless I defer to those with much more knowledge and experience than me. The chimney poking out does look rough. From the description of the OP it seemed the sweeps diagnosed the liner problem before going on the roof. I wonder how that showed itself if they cleaned from the bottom up? Or maybe I've misunderstood that too?

Still the same. I'd be crawling up there and shining a flashlight down that chimney to see for myself what was up?

it's a single wall pipe out of the stove and the liner starts where it goes thru the ceiling in the first picture
Not knowledge, :) a little birdie told me

I know the OP said that. But the more closely I look at the picture it sure looks like double wall to me. Even where the first pipe connection above the stove is it looks like where the fastener is positioned if it was single wall the pipe is reversed? Like if it's single wall the line of the pipes meeting should be above the fastener if it's oriented male down and double wall connecting pipe looks the opposite,like it appears to me in that photo.

I know it's besides the point anyways. So I'll let it go. Breath, breath. Lol.

Have you run across people putting liners into metal chimneys?

I'm wondering if that's excel double wall connecting pipe and if somehow it was mistaken as a pipe with a liner in it? Again not to harp but if that's six inch single wall connecting pipe isn't that wooden beam way to close?

Or is it 8" stove pipe and there is a 6" liner down to the stove? Not sure what the distance is from pipe to beam. It's hard to tell at the angle of the shot whether this is an issue or not.

I agree squisher It looks like double wall to me as well. I really dont understand the description of the issue so I cant give an evaluation on the price. But I do agree that the chimney and flashing above the roof looks rough. I would probably just recommend replacing it all. Which I have a feeling is what was quoted to you.

Yes some piece of the puzzle is missing? More pics and more answers! Lol. Or maybe it's more pics and more questions.

If the chimney looked fine on the inside still would it be a candidate to be replaced just due to the weathering? It looks sort of like the only real rusting is on the flashing and rain collar. There does appear to be possibly some on the chimney itself just above the rain collar which made me wonder if the collar slipped down or been pushed down a bit in the 'inspection' of the chimney? How do you normally identify the brand/type of chimney? Just knowledge from having used/installed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.