chimney flex pipe to high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labrador

Jul 19, 2008
upstate New York
road runner
My ss flex pipe extends three inches above the top of the chimney. Over the flex pipe is a 12" x 12" chimney cap , leaving only three inches of space to the top of the cap. Should the pipe be cut flush with the top of the chimney to allow more space for venting? I always have to crack the door of the Rockland c550 to start a fire.

so what your saying is your SS liner is 3" above the top of the stack and that you only have 3" to the cap?? My first question would be how tall is your stack/flu? and second is why would you extend 3" above the chimney? (knowing there is a cap) sounds like a weak draft to me so far.

The short answer is yes, trim it even with the chimney. Is there a top plate on the chimney that the liner sticks through? Cracking the door to start a fire isn't unusual.

Thanks for the fast replies. I did not do the install, a certified chimney sweep did. The flue is about 20 feet from stove to top of chimney. It is a fireplace in the center of the house. There is a top plate that the liner sticks through. I plan on trimming it tomorrow morning. :)

This sounds like instead of installing a cap on the liner/top plate that a regular masonry chimney cap is covering it. That won't allow enough space between the top of the liner/top plate flange for a good draft.

BrotherBart said:
This sounds like instead of installing a cap on the liner/top plate that a regular masonry chimney cap is covering it. That won't allow enough space between the top of the liner/top plate flange for a good draft.

+1. If we install using the existing cap - instead of the one that comes with the liner kit - we install the top plate with the flange facing downwards into the flue tiles. We then trim the liner almost flush (1/4 - 1/2" high) with the plate
& RTV any gaps between the plate & the liner to keep rain out...
This way you get the 5 - 6" required between the top of the liner & the underside of the cap & a better draft...
YMMV...

Status
Not open for further replies.