Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenRiverHenry

Sep 6, 2023
NW Illinois
Hi all. Would you please consider a question that is partially answered in other threads, but not with the specificity I'm looking for. I am replacing a raised Temco fireplace with an old Apache circulating woodburner. I'll be venting through a 3' by 5' inside-the-house chase containing an 8" chimney pipe inside of a 12" air cooled pipe. The chase is open to the (unheated) garage attic for another means of venting hot air. I have two questions that I can't find a satisfactory answer for under these circumstances. The attached pictures might help. The back wall of the chase will be covered with a 1" spaced shield, the horizontal framing will be eliminated and the vertical framing will be replaced with metal pipe. The one thing that can't be replaced or removed is the header under the mantle. It will be 35" above the top of the stove (52" off of the floor) and 22" above the top of the stove's transition stack. Is that enough spacing or does the header need metal shielding on its lower side? Second, 96" above the floor the chase is blocked (except for the chimney pipe passage of course) by a sheet of metal the prior owner of the house called a "fire break." That leaves an unvented, 3' x5' x 30" enclosed space right above (but 35" above) the stove. I'm thinking of closing off that space by installing cement board at mantle level to prevent that enclosed space from trapping really hot air . Does that sound necessary or reasonable? The alternative would be to vent that space through the sides of the chase (with or without a fan) Thanks GRH

S

20240224_113826.jpg

20240224_113839.jpg

Hi all. Would you please consider a question that is partially answered in other threads, but not with the specificity I'm looking for. I am replacing a raised Temco fireplace with an old Apache circulating woodburner. I'll be venting through a 3' by 5' inside-the-house chase containing an 8" chimney pipe inside of a 12" air cooled pipe. The chase is open to the (unheated) garage attic for another means of venting hot air. I have two questions that I can't find a satisfactory answer for under these circumstances. The attached pictures might help. The back wall of the chase will be covered with a 1" spaced shield, the horizontal framing will be eliminated and the vertical framing will be replaced with metal pipe. The one thing that can't be replaced or removed is the header under the mantle. It will be 35" above the top of the stove (52" off of the floor) and 22" above the top of the stove's transition stack. Is that enough spacing or does the header need metal shielding on its lower side? Second, 96" above the floor the chase is blocked (except for the chimney pipe passage of course) by a sheet of metal the prior owner of the house called a "fire break." That leaves an unvented, 3' x5' x 30" enclosed space right above (but 35" above) the stove. I'm thinking of closing off that space by installing cement board at mantle level to prevent that enclosed space from trapping really hot air . Does that sound necessary or reasonable? The alternative would be to vent that space through the sides of the chase (with or without a fan) Thanks GRH

S

View attachment 325211

View attachment 325212
Does the stove have a ul listing tag on it or do you have the manual?

Does the stove have a ul listing tag on it or do you have the manual?
Neither is there. Stove is pretty old and might well have had multiple owners. Thanks for considering the question. There are multiple sources for recommending distances from floor level or side walls, but very little for above-the-stove distances. It is "double-hulled" and has a blower taking air in from the back and shooting it out the front. GRH

It is my undersatnding that then it's 36" in any direction, including above.
Shielding can decrease that - but I would assume again with similar fractions in all directions.

I'm not sure if alcoves (which this might be) would change that (and if so, likely less permissive...)