1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney/Flue shut off? & temp probe?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Machria, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Now that I have choosen and ordered a stove, I'm on to the chimney...

Two questions:
    1. Old fireplaces always have a "flue shut off". Before you light a fire, you open the flue, when it's done and out, you close the flue, so as to not let cold air back into your house when not in use. So do we not need a "shut off" on the flue for the new EPA stoves? I don't see it mentioned anywhere, or see a part for it in the stove pipes I took a quick look at. What do you do if you not using the stove?

2. Flue temperature "probes". I see everyone seems to have a thermometer on the flue to monitor it's temp., great idea. But I read somewhere it's better to actually have a probe, that goes INTO the flue, instead of just sticking it on the pipe, so you know the actual temp of the gases exiting the flue. So what "probe" do I get, and how is this installed? Do you just drill a small hole in the flue pipe and stick it in, or is it more high tech....?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Not needed on an EPA stove. With the door and primary air control shut a stove is sealed much tighter than a typical fireplace flue damper.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    1.) No - a shutoff (or key damper) is not required for an epa stove.

2.) A flue probe is inserted through a hole drilled into the pipe. Unless you are installing the pipe yourself, your installer should have all that stuff at hand. If you are installing it, the probe package usually lists the size of drill bit required.
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Others have already responded that you don't need a damper for the usage you mentioned above, but IF your chimney is in excess of 22 - 25 feet tall, you may need an inline flue damper to control the burn better...
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    If you are installing double wall interior chimney pipe, the only way to measure flue temps is with a probe meter. Condar is the brand and you can buy them direct. It is as easy as drilling the hole and sticking it in the hole. If you have single wall pipe then a magnetic surface temp meter is a reasonable way to measure flue temps with a correction factor of 200%, so if the surface of the single wall is 300 then interior gas temps are 600.
    Jags likes this.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
  7. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Thanks folks! I ordered one of the condor probes....

Since we are at it, what's a good moister meter? Only one they had at Home Crapo was one with no probes on it, not sure if those work at all?
  8. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Since everyone is saying I don't need a flue shut off, UNLESS I have an issue and want to control the stove with it.... would it not makes sense to install one being I'm installing a new chimney? just in case.... ?
  9. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I don't think you are going to have a really tall chimney, so it is unlikely you will need a damper.

You are likely going to have a set up with a length of adjustable pipe. It is really easy in the future to install a piece of pipe that comes with damper preinstalled at the adjustable length pipe...just shortens that pipe a bit. You'll likely be sweeping from inside and taking your pipe apart once a year to do so...easy to do. So, not a big deal to add a damper later, very slim chance you'll need one.

My chimney is a good 30 feet, high on a hill facing the prevailing winds, at the south end of a long lake, have a great draft, am able to adjust the PH just fine without a damper.
  10. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Gotcha, thanks....