1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Wilhelm911

Wilhelm911 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hey everyone, I'm rejuvenating an old sloppy stove hookup. The burner is an Alaska Kodiak. It has a 6 inch outlet out the back. My chimney has a 7 x 6 3/4 square clay flue. The old setup had 6 inch pipe to a 6x8 reducer into the chimney. The hole in the chimney wall looks like it was done with a sledgehammer, filled with creosote, and just a disaster. Would it be better to stick a piece of 6 inch into the chimney wall and brick/cement it shut? This has to be better than butting a 6x8 reducer into the oblong disaster hole that is current. Any help will be appreciated!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    How about cleaning that disaster hole, and buying a piece of round 6 inch terracotta (a crock), cut it to the desired length if need be, and mortar in place. Then your stove pipe would go into that with a slip fit.

I wouldn't cement any black pipe into the the area that a crock/thimble should be.

With a few pics we might be able to give some other suggestions.

Also, whenever stove pipe is stuck into a crock/thimble, it should never extend into the flue itself.

pen
  3. Wilhelm911

Wilhelm911 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Sure, here are some pictures. The stove will be moved back a little, in the corner. Using two adjustable 90s and about a 5 foot piece of pipe to the chimney.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017396.965509.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017412.710094.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017441.179667.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380017455.975705.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The pictures illustrate the issue of no crock. It looks like air leaking around the connector entry to the chimney has cooled down the flue gases enough to creosote up the hole. The chimney will need a full cleaning and close inspection first for any cracks or missing mortar between tiles.