Chimney ID!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
So, I drove to work this morning and found some chimney pipe sitting in the parking lot. A buddy had brought it in to see if anyone needed it. It was at his house when he bought it and has no need for it. I am hoping I can make use of it as I am setting up a wood stove in my workshop (more on that later). It is 2 peices of 30" that measure approx. 7"I.D. and 9" O.D. my stove has a 6" opening. Any chance I can use this stuff with the help of a reducer/extender of some sort? I have attached a few pics, can't put them in the post since I am at a work PC and cannot access online file shareing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• chimney1.jpg
    chimney1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 308
  • chimney2.jpg
    chimney2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 303
  • chimney3.jpg
    chimney3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 311
Look almost identical the the thimble class A that a poster was querying about a couple weeks ago. Older Metalbestos?

By chance would you have a link to that discussion? Search returned nothing.

The length might be the giveaway. We haven't worked with every chimney brand over the years, but among the several brands we're familiar with, the only one that ever came in 30" lengths was Metalbestos. Order a 7" MB locking band for the connection between the two lengths, and use a flue extender and 6-7 increaser at the bottom, and you should be good to go.

thechimneysweep said:
The length might be the giveaway. We haven't worked with every chimney brand over the years, but among the several brands we're familiar with, the only one that ever came in 30" lengths was Metalbestos. Order a 7" MB locking band for the connection between the two lengths, and use a flue extender and 6-7 increaser at the bottom, and you should be good to go.
Was really hoping you would see this, thanks. Plan is,
1. 6-7 increaser from stove to approx 5' of 7" single wall pipe,
2. into a ceiling support kit? Any special consideration for this? What size would I need.
3. 2 lenghts of the Metalbestos (with locking band) which will give me approx 3' above the roof, just above the peak.
4. What size roof flashing / storm collar for 9" O.D.?
5. top it off with a cap.

Flue extender?

and once again, thank you.

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on the ceiling support kit?

You'll need a Metalbestos 7" ceiling support package, round or square, a roof flashing, storm collar and cap.

7T-FSP = Square Ceiling Support Package
7T-FSPR = Round Ceiling Support Package
7T-AF6 = 2/12-6/12 Pitch Roof Flashing
7/8T-SC = Storm Collar
7T-CT = Rain Cap

When you twist-lock your two 30" lengths together, you'll need a locking band

7T-LB = Locking Band

Before you drop your chimney into the support box, you'll need to attach a Dripless Smoke Pipe Adapter

7T-DSAC = Dripless Smoke Pipe Adapter

This will allow connection of your 7" stovepipe, crimped end down.

Excellent. I really appreciate the effort put in the post, thank you. I went to the local dealer that installed my summit and chimney last year and was told that basically Meltalbest is only approved for Oil fired appliances in Canada. So the conundrum is, order a whole new chimney or, order the parts I need online? Best just to price everything out I guess and make a plan from there. Thanks once again.

JV_Thimble said:
SKIN052 - Did you work out if this was Metalbestos pipe for sure? Very interested if you did, as Selkirk told me it was not theirs, and I think Metalbestos is a Selkirk brand, eh?

Link to prior post - https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/61432/#700914

Thanks,

John
No confirmation on the pipe, no real idea what it is other than everyone telling me it is used for Oil only. Decided to go with typical class A prefab. Hope to pick some up in a couple days on a road trip. Been working on an old clunker of a stove and it's ready to hook up, just need the pipe. New post to hopefully follow in a week or so of the garage set up. I know allot of people are against garage set ups but here on the Island it is as common as the home. I will be safe first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.