Chimney Inspection and Cleaning Tomorrow - what to ask? what to look out for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
In prep for hopefully installing an insert very soon, I have a reputable Boston-area chimney company coming tomorrow to do a cleaning and level two inspection (the inspection with the camera up the chimney). I know some people would say the level two inspection is unnecessary as I will be installing (hopefully) an insulated liner, but I bought my house just over a year ago and haven't done any cleaning or inspection, the house was built in the late 1800s, and the company only charges $300 for both the cleaning and level 2 inspection, so I figured it was well worth it for the info and piece of mind it will give me.

So, I'm wondering from the intelligent people here, what questions should I ask? What should I look for in the work they do? What questions should I ask? etc...

I am also hoping that they will give me the "okay" on installing the used jotul c450 I just bought used, which will require a little bit of brick grinding to make fit. On the phone, the chimney company told me that brick grinding was questionable with a chimney this old, and that it is possible that the fireplace firebox wouldn't be able to handle the high temps of an insert, but that they wouldn't know this until they did the inspection. Does this sound right? My firebox on the chimney is covered by metal sheets (perhaps cast iron?) to reflect heat. I assume they will need to remove these to see what the brick behind looks like in regards to being able to do the grinding, is that correct? I'm also hoping that removing this metal will give me an extra half an inch or so on either side.

Any suggestions are welcome! They'll be here at 3PM tomorrow!

Kenny

What is the condition of the bricks and mortor in the chimney? If there was a little extra space made from the grinding... Could some type of heat shield be used to protect from hottest temps? Just thinking out loud here.

Other than listening to what the guy has to share with you about the inspection, and asking questions about that info there's not much I can add w/out seeing what you are working with (pictures).

Make sure you explain what it is you are hoping to do and see what the sweep thinks about the liner, how long the chimney should be good for, etc.

Hopefully for that money, the guy should be pretty comprehensive.

pen

Thanks Pen,

I don't have any pics right now of the chimney, but it's a masonry chimney, about 30 to 35 feet (I believe) and built in the late 1800s. I've had a level one inspection done when I was looking to purchase the house, but that pretty much entailed shining a flashlight up the chimney and calling it a day. I know this one is a little more money, but I figure it's worth it to hopefully give me a better sense of what's going on.

Perhaps my writing for advice on what to ask for seems silly - I just want to make sure these guys don't miss anything nor try to take me for a ride.

I'll let you know later what the results were.

Kenny

KennyK,

What did you find out with your inspection? Any news? Possibilities for your situation?

Gasifier said:
KennyK,

What did you find out with your inspection? Any news? Possibilities for your situation?

Well, I think the inspection was worth it. The technician seemed very knowledgeable, and I felt like he was straightforward. He showed me on the camera how there had been a decent amount of movement in the bricks (after over 100 years, you'd probably expect that!), and that I should not have any sort of open fire in there until I get it fixed and lined. He also said that putting in a wood stove with liner was probably the best solution!!!

Now, the bad news is that he said that there was really no way to use the Jotul insert I got a great deal on, as it needs approx. 25.5 inches width at 12.5 inches into the firebox. I only have about 21.5. I had hoped (as a Jotul dealer told me) that we could do some brick grinding, but he pointed out that four inches is much more of a difference than a "little brick grinding" could accomplish. He also said that if I take off the metal plates that are in my firebox on top of the brick, I both risk encountering other problems, or actually causing damage that would then require more work and money to fix.

Lastly, he told me that I'd be crazy to remove my 100 plus year old mantel, which I have considered removing because of little clearance. He said that he thought that because of the age and beauty of the mantel, it probably adds about $10,000 to the value of my house, regardless of the condition of the fireplace and chimney.

So, I'm a little bummed and trying to figure out what to do. From what I can tell, there are basically NO inserts that will work (including the Lopi answer). Can I put a stove far enough in front of the mantel, so that clearance isn't an issue? Not sure. Can I get a stove with SUPER close clearances - maybe sides and back, but I can't seem to find top clearances that are close enough. Thoughts? The new Jotul F55 seems to have very close clearances on the back (from what he says in the video), but I can't get the manual (it says it's on the site, but there's nothing there to download). Could I pull the Jotul c450 that I have out even further than recommended and create some sort of box around the front?

Any thoughts are super welcome - tell me if you need more info from me to help!!!!

Thanks,

Kenny

A heat shield may be able to protect that mantel depending on what you end up going with.

W/ a few pics, exact dimensions of the opening, the pad, clearance to that mantle, what your house layout is, and what you aspirations are for wood burning (full time, supplemental, part time) then we can help you in a new thread figure out what may work for you.

Always good to hear that the money spent was worth it, even if the results were not what you wanted.

pen

It does sound like building out the hearth and putting a freestanding stove may be a better option here. But as pen said, we need to see what you are seeing. Also, we need to know a bit more about the house and the area to be heated.

You got a good score on the Jotul. Can you afford to store it and resell next October?

Thanks Pen and BeGreen.

I will start up a new thread shortly with detailed dimensions of my firebox, hearth and mantle, as well as my hopes for a wood stove and the layout and size of my house. I was feeling a bit down since Monday, thinking I would never get the kind of wood stove I'd like in my house, but you guys made me feel better!

BeGreen, I can store the jotul in my basement until October - do you think that would be a better time to put it on the market? It's still in the back of my minivan, as I didn't want to have to move it twice! Now I guess it's time to clear out a space in my basement and get a strong friend and good dolly!!!!

Thanks!

KK

Yes, clean it up nice, then sell it in late Sept or Oct. when the market is hot and you should make a tidy profit. If it is in excellent condition it could go for $1-$1.2K.

Be sure to post some pictures of your current setup in the new thread.

BeGreen said:
Yes, clean it up nice, then sell it in late Sept or Oct. when the market is hot and you should make a tidy profit. If it is in excellent condition it could go for $1-$1.2K.

Be sure to post some pictures of your current setup in the new thread.

Thanks BeGreen, the new post is coming soon, just want to get all my measurements exact, and it's been a busy week!

Quick questions. The Jotul insert is still in the back of my minivan as I didn't want to move it twice and I was sure what would happen. The thing weighs a ton and my friend who helped me move it into my minivan suggested rather than moving it to the basement (which requires some steps), I could put it on a pallet outside wrapped well in tarps. Sounds a little iffy to me, so I thought I'd ask the good people here. It would certainly be a lot easier!

K

This stove was under a sheltered deck, wrapped in tarps.

hearthstone011.jpg

hearthstone009.jpg

hearthstone004.jpg

hearthstone003.jpg

hearthstone002.jpg

pen

wow that stove looks horrible, but maybe i can be cleaned up?

Maybe you can...how dirty are you?

Could be no hope for that thing.

Pen, thanks! I get the message loud and clear!!! In the basement it'll go!

Even in the basement, I will keep it on a pallet as I get a little bit of moisture down there.

Thanks again!

Kenny

It won't cost you anything to float a craigslisting now and see if there are any takers. That might be safer if the basement is damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.