Chimney Inspection Video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DRM736

Dec 19, 2021
New England
Hello, looking for opinions of the condition of the chimney in the video (follow link). Specifically, do you see any cracks? The degree and type of creosote formation? What service the homeowner should expect to perform as a result of the video?

Reactions: MR. GLO
Hello, looking for opinions of the condition of the chimney in the video (follow link). Specifically, do you see any cracks? The degree and type of creosote formation? What service the homeowner should expect to perform as a result of the video?

Bad mortar joints and some cracked tiles. It needs a liner.

IMO, looks like a lot of places for creosote to build up, time for a liner and be done with it except routine cleaning.

I am spoiled from my years when I would hire contractors to inspect industrial pipes. The rigs we used had the capability to rotate the camera head so we could look straight on at the joints and odd spots.