Chimney Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chrisificti0n

Oct 8, 2018
Seattle
Hi all,

I recently purchased a home with a propane furnace, a propane fireplace, and a separate wood stove. I’ve got a late-80s Blaze King stove in decent shape. I made sure the fire bricks are in tact and I have been looking at the chimney.

My chimney runs up from the stove, through the wall into an unoccupied space above my garage, then through the roof.

I’d like to clean out the chimney, but the way this was installed leaves no room to remove the clean out on the bottom of the elbow.

I’m thinking about cutting an access panel below the elbow, there’s plywood sheathing and then drywall below the joists. Should be able to go straight up.

I was looking for advice and review of this setup- is the weight of the chimney resting on angle iron kosher? Any tips or recommendations for my setup?

Attachments

• EC26BFA0-2FA6-4780-A430-BB362BE827FB.jpeg
    EC26BFA0-2FA6-4780-A430-BB362BE827FB.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 327
  • B28DCEE8-237B-4510-B758-C025790EA97C.jpeg
    B28DCEE8-237B-4510-B758-C025790EA97C.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 316
  • F90A11BF-A515-45CC-B215-E20D360A8B56.jpeg
    F90A11BF-A515-45CC-B215-E20D360A8B56.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 325
Better have one of the pro's here advise on that setup! The support under the cap looks very questionable.

If the pro's ok that setup I'd say remove the 90 above the stove and use a vacuum with a 90 on the end to simply reach in and suck up the residue from a top down cleaning. Possibly?

Last edited:
Better have one of the pro's here advise on that setup! The support under the cap looks very questionable.

If the pro's ok that setup I'd say remove the 90 above the stove and use a vacuum with a 90 on the end to simply reach in and suck up the residue from a top down cleaning. Possibly?

Thanks -- I'm hoping that I can replace the haphazard angle iron with longer pieces, spread across joists to distribute the load.. then cut a 6-8" hole straight up from my garage and install a metal access panel for easy cleanout of the vertical section, then remove the elbow inside to get the horizontal section. This is my first wood stove and I've actually got a second in a MIL unit, but it's not burn-worthy due to an old water leak. The chimney on that one runs straight up, but this one can't due to a coffered ceiling.

As long as you maintain your 2" of clearance and have the chimney supported properly i dont see a problem

Why not clean the chimney then take the black pipe off from the inside, dryvac the build up out and clean the black pipe outside to keep the mess down?

I ended up Sooteater-ing from the roof down (easy access to the roof thankfully), then disconnecting the interior 90º and cleaning from there, then vacuuming it all. I ended up with over 128 ounces of creosote!! Thank you guys for the guidance and recommendations.