Chimney install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasass

Mar 3, 2013
South Jersey
We will be adding a 1 story addition, located off the back of our house, and a shed dormer (Cape Cod style house) to the existing 2nd floor of the house (also at the rear), some time in the near future. Our plan is to install a Woodstock Keystone in the 1st floor addition. The stove will be situated in the corner against the existing house and newly framed exterior wall. The chimney will be a straight shot exiting the addition roof and running up the new shed dormer wall.

I will make any adjustments needed, to the location of the stove and/or the overhang of the shed dormer roof, in order for the chimney pipe to clear the overhang without penetrating it. The chimney pipe could potentially be 18" or so away from the shed dormer wall to maintain the proper clearance from the overhang and gutter.

So my questions are: Is there a maximum distance the chimney pipe can be from an exterior wall? Are the stabilizing brackets able to hold the weight of the chimney being this far away from thee house?

Hope this all makes sense.....

There is a maximum for stock brackets depending on the pipe brand, but I have seen custom ones that take the pipe out further. Considering this will be new construction why not just build an indented recess into the soffit of the shed roof if need be?

There is a maximum for stock brackets depending on the pipe brand, but I have seen custom ones that take the pipe out further. Considering this will be new construction why not just build an indented recess into the soffit of the shed roof if need be?
I'd rather not build a recess. Aesthetics, need for another downspout, etc.
Do the brackets hold the weight of the chimney or just stabilize?

The brackets just brace the chimney. The chimney pipe will be supported from below, either in a ceiling support box, or a roof support bracket. Most likely you will be using a ceiling support box, this will support to 35' for most brands. Excel makes a few extended brackets, but since you mentioned aesthetics, this might not work, they are kinda ugly.

The brackets just brace the chimney. The chimney pipe will be supported from below, either in a ceiling support box, or a roof support bracket. Most likely you will be using a ceiling support box, this will support to 35' for most brands. Excel makes a few extended brackets, but since you mentioned aesthetics, this might not work, they are kinda ugly.
If they don't hold any weight, could I use the same type of bracket used on a roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.