Chimney Installation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDfromRI

Nov 16, 2007
Northern Rhode Island
Hi Folks,

New member here so please have patience! Well, I am excitedly making plans to install my first wood stove but I am really questioning how the chimney must be built. Let me start by saying that I purchased a non-catalytic Century stove and I own a fairly traditional Cape Code style home (this means that I have a 12/12 roof).

I've been planning on placing the stove in the back left corner of the house. According to building code, the chimney must reach 2 ft higher than any point of the roof within 10ft. With the pitch roof I have, that basically means I must install a chimney that is 12ft high. I want the installation to be functional and safe for my family and neighbors, but this seems high to me. It will end up being higher than the existing masonry chinmey (which happens to be ~5ft higher than where it exits roof). How can a pre-fab chimney that is 12ft tall be "safe" from a structural perspective? I fear the risk of it toppling with snow and wind is fairly high.

If this is indeed the correct and required height, then that's what it will be but can anyone recommend a safe and effective means of bracing something that tall? Are there kits for this? I'm not sure that I've ever seen a stove chimney that tall. It'll be ugly for sure. There are several in my neighbordhood which appear to be meeting the 3ft height rule but certainly not the 2ft higher than any point of the roof within 10ft.

Again, my first priority is safety so any advice here is appreciated. If anyone has any pictures of chimneys they've built or seen that would be similar in construction, I'd appreciate them!!

Thanks All!
-JD

With a 12/12 pitch you are right hard to do at the eve for you will have over 12 feet of pipe and hard to clean the pipe

This photo is not 12/12 but 8/12 and you can see how much pipe and the roof brace
if you are in a snow area that is a tough one
you would need to use a Cricket/Snow wedge to devert the snow away from the pipe.
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/iccpipe.jpg

is there anyway to get closer to the peek?

Well, I guess I would be first one with a correctly installed stove!! Scary.

I have considered other locations for the stove, but none are great. The reason is because of window locations and additions that have built on. It's tough to go through the wall because that corne of the house is where the main power, tele, and cable are connected. I could get closer to the peak by moving the stove from the far outside left corner counter clockwise in the room to the corner that is roughly centered on the left wall of the house. That would force me to go through the wall and enter into an attached breezeway. From there, I could go straight up and through the breezeway roof and up the peak. Seems like a lot more trouble and chimney to clean if I did it that way. Not sure if that violates code?

How often is cleaning required? For a chimney that goes through the roof, how does one gain access for cleaning? Please don't say from the top...

Thanks for the advice and pictures.
-JD

You can put stoves in front of windows
http://www.avalonstoves.com/images/images_Numbered/Medium/104669.jpg

You dont want to go thru a wall and up unless you have to but the advantage would be a T clean out so you could clean from the bottom if you are not required to have a screen in the cap.

Normally you have to clean from the top for straight runs.
but if you took your pipe off your stove you can do it from the bottom but it is a trick.

Here is a pic of the proper installation for your roof.

Attachments

• Brace.JPG
    Brace.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 452
Wow - great information and thoughts, everyone. I really appreciate the advice - this is a great forum!

Well, I think my questions about the chimney height and location are answered; how about this next one - If I follow the construction diagram above (reply #5) and my chimney is 12ft tall, will I need two support bands and cable ties to the roof? Or would one at the 6ft level be sufficient? If two, can the cables anchor to the roof at the same point?

Thanks again,

-JD

If you do ONE ridgit type brace like the photo I posted will be fine
but if you are in a snow area i do Recommend a Crickitt/ Snow wedge.

Attachments

• snowwedge.jpg
    snowwedge.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 415
Excellent information, everyone! You guys have been a big help. I think I have more than enough now to finalize my plans. I will take some pictures once it is all complete.

Thanks to All,
-JD

Ixnay on the snow wedge. Don't waster your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.