Chimney length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I know that 14' should be minimum, so I got 16' going on all the advice from you folk here. I know that I will have minimal draft problems, if any at all. But I gotta tell ya....it looks like crap on a single story flat roof. It will take some getting used to. Maybe I'll get better radio reception. :roll:

I was thinking the same thing today If I have to add more which I probably will it is going to look odd.

You could always add a second story- and who said burning wood is a money saver? :)

You wont care how it looks when you see how much money it saves you in the heating bill.

Ja, I opted more for looks and ease of install. As a result it doesn't draw as well as it should so sometimes I have to open a window to lower the negative pressure plane. Mine protrudes near the ridge of a 12/12 pitch roof of my El which is lower than the main roof. If I were to add another section, I would need to brace it.

Well, sometimes you can get by with shorter chimneys just like you can get by without a chase. WE live in MI and it has been said that we need a chase because our chimney goes up along side of the house. We also need 16' of chimney. We are way short of that, we have no chase and our stove burns just fine. However, if we burned less than ideal wood then I do think we'd have a problem. Therefore, we cut, split and stack wood well ahead of the time when it will be used.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, sometimes you can get by with shorter chimneys just like you can get by without a chase. WE live in MI and it has been said that we need a chase because our chimney goes up along side of the house. We also need 16' of chimney. We are way short of that, we have no chase and our stove burns just fine. However, if we burned less than ideal wood then I do think we'd have a problem. Therefore, we cut, split and stack wood well ahead of the time when it will be used.

I like to see you chimney. Can you get a photo of it.

I just added a section and also braces and the payoff was well worth it. Like they say "Function before fashion".

Trktrd said:
I just added a section and also braces and the payoff was well worth it. Like they say "Function before fashion".
Ja, I keep meaning to do that but mine is over 12 years old now and I worry that the new section might not mate up with the old. Ja, I know... excuses... the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. All I really need to do is to take the cap with me. If the cap fits...

Status
Not open for further replies.