Chimney Liner Alternatives...Please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What should we do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I'm helping a buddy install a wood stove in his traditional masonry fireplace. He understands it is best to install an insulated liner and wants to do everything tip top best.

We checked his current flue tonight and we have our first hurdle.

The current flue is terracotta liner. Inside dimensions are 6.5 x 11.5 rectangular.

The stove he has chosen requires a 6" flue.

His idea is to smash out all of the terracotta tile and install a traditional flex liner with wrap insulation.

I think we should leave the terracotta lining since it is in good shape and run a flex liner with pour in Vermiculite insulation.

Is one plan better than the other?

Thanks for the quick help!

ac

From what I understand it looks like the 6.5" width may restrict the insulation on the flex. I suppose either option may work, not sure which will ease the workload or the pocketbook better.

That's pretty short for a modern stove. Is he considering extending this to at least 14-16ft? What stove?

what part of the country do you guys live?

I just installed a flex liner from Rockford Chimney supply that was a 6 inch with the wrap insulation. My terra cotta was 7 inch inside and it was a VERY tight fit, mainly due to the old clay liner pieces didn't match up quite right and kept catching on the clamp holding the snout on to the liner. Being its not that tall of a run I would probably bust out the terra cotta and put an insulated flex liner in. Just my opinion though.

Yes. I am working on convincing him to add a 4' piece of rigid to the top of whatever we do.

ac
Since its only 12' tall it would be easy to wreck that clay outa there! It usually takes less time to remove than starting a hearth.com thread!;)
As for extending the flue, it would be a real good idea. You might consider using a piece of insulated chimney as the extension. You could possibly use a class A anchor plate with the liner attached to the bottom side and class A extending up a few feet. If its not insulated it will build creosote like crazy up there in the wind.

I've never tried to knock out terracotta liner. It just had the initial reaction of possibly opening a can of worms to me.

I can't find any information about how thick pour in insulation should be. Anyone know?

ac

I am the naysayer I guess. Use poured in insulation. Bust those tiles out of there and you ain't gonna believe what happens when you try to sell that house to somebody that doesn't want a wood stove in that fireplace.

Reactions: Huntindog1
You said it was a fireplace install, what kind of stove is going in?
If its a fireplace, then pouring in the insulation is pretty tough. You will have to completely block the flue at the throat, otherwise you are just filling the smoke chamber up with insulation. It must be completely blocked, if not it will find its way out. I wouldn't recommend it.

I am the naysayer I guess. Use poured in insulation. Bust those tiles out of there and you ain't gonna believe what happens when you try to sell that house to somebody that doesn't want a wood stove in that fireplace.

That was my main argument. I liked that leaving the terracotta in place at least left the option of reverse.

ac

You said it was a fireplace install, what kind of stove is going in?
If its a fireplace, then pouring in the insulation is pretty tough. You will have to completely block the flue at the throat, otherwise you are just filling the smoke chamber up with insulation. It must be completely blocked, if not it will find its way out. I wouldn't recommend it.

I read that a "chimney balloon" was used for that purpose?

ac

Frankly you guys have pretty much the same weather as we do and my two un-insulated liners in tile lined chimneys rock. At least they have for the last seven years.

The most important stuff happens down at the bottom. Good stove, dry wood and good burning habits.

Reactions: Bluerubi
You have a good point. The oval flex would be best, if your up to the cost!

I read that a "chimney balloon" was used for that purpose?

ac

Wrong. You need a tight block off plate. You use chimney balloon to block the flue in an unused fireplace.

Wrong. You need a tight block off plate. You use chimney balloon to block the flue in an unused fireplace.

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. I thought a chimney balloon was used while insulating to control the insulation and keep it out of the smoke chamber.

At least that is what I read on Rockford (one of the sponsors here):

"Note: A chimney balloon is the best solution to stop the insulation mix from leaking into your fireplace or down into your cleanout door at the base of your chimney. The chimney balloon should be removed, once the insulation mix has cured, before a fire is lit in the chimney."

ac

That was my main argument. I liked that leaving the terracotta in place at least left the option of reverse.

ac
If reversal is a possibility, then either an uninsulated liner or a preinsulated oval is what you need. A poured in mix is gonna be a huge mess if you try to remove it in the future.

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. I thought a chimney balloon was used while insulating to control the insulation and keep it out of the smoke chamber.

At least that is what I read on Rockford (one of the sponsors here):

"Note: A chimney balloon is the best solution to stop the insulation mix from leaking into your fireplace or down into your cleanout door at the base of your chimney. The chimney balloon should be removed, once the insulation mix has cured, before a fire is lit in the chimney."

ac
How does the liner pass through the balloon? You liner is coming all the way to the stove.

If reversal is a possibility, then either an uninsulated liner or a preinsulated oval is what you need. A poured in mix is gonna be a huge mess if you try to remove it in the future.

Come on, I can hear the realtor now:

"The old flue is still intact, just pull out the liner and remove the insulation and you have a beautiful rustic fireplace." LOL

ac

Reactions: Motordime
You need to use a poured in loose fill like Perlite. If you are going to use something that is a poured in slush mix like Thermix that hardens then you have the same problem later. You ain't gonna get it or the liner out of there.

Leave the tile there. It is a good backup if something ever happed to the flex liner. Buy an ovalized flex liner (with insulation wrap) or make your own. I have seen several videos on youtube from liner Mfgs on ovalizing liners. I think some will even sell you the tool to do it. Wouldn't be too hard to make one though...

I agree, dont use the poured insulation, it would be expensive on that big of a chimney, and semi permanent.

Last edited:
How does the liner pass through the balloon? You liner is coming all the way to the stove.

Like I said, never done it before. I see your point. I have a head cold and have some pretty odd brain activity these past 3 days. LOL

Does it even matter? Is a 6" liner in a 6.5" wide flue a REAL possibility?

In other words, would it matter that the insulation may be thin to non-existant at some points?

ac

Status
Not open for further replies.