Chimney liner and insulation quality?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bswilson989

Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts
We are having a chimney repaired to accommodate a wood-burning fireplace insert as well as a wood stove (on 2 different levels). There are three flues, the other is for the boiler.

We've received two estimates from competing businesses, and one is several thousand dollars higher. Some (layman's) research suggests that the difference has come down to two things: 1. the quality of the chimney liner that they want to install, and 2. whether or not the chimney needs insulation.

We'd like to keep things on a budget, but we also have just recently moved in and expect to live in this house for several decades so I'm willing to pay for quality, long-lasting work when it makes sense. I'm just not sure what is worthwhile here?

Does my chimney need insulation? Is it worth paying more for a higher grade chimney liner?

(I apologize if I'm leaving out some crucial bit of info that would help answer this question - I'm still trying to educate myself)

Chimneys need insulated liners for two reasons: Safety and Performance

Most chimneys don't have the proper clearance to combustibles so unless yours meets the rules then yes it needs an insulated liner.
The stove draft will be better and creosote will be less of a problem with an insulated liner.

The better liners use thicker wall construction and some installers will only put in the heavy wall. I think its worth it.

Reactions: bholler
Well said fireman

Dug up some more info:
Both quotes are using a stainless steel liner, although maybe one is "higher quality" (if that's a thing). One is setting up scaffolding and applying pour installation. The other is using a wrap (and a ladder to get up there).

My non-pro answers to your two questions based on info given would be:

Likely.

Usually.

A pic or two of your chimney might help, with better description of what's there now. If things are tight re. inside chimney dimensions that could be challenging.

As far as quotes and apparent value in each, likely would need exact specs on what they are saying they will do & exact liners to be used. And amounts of each.

I would go with the wrap in a heartbeat. Pour-in is hard to control to guaranty the liner gets centered.

Ditto on the wrap.

Is it worth paying more for a higher grade chimney liner?
I think so. I spent the extra bux on Homesaver Roundflex without batting an eye.