Chimney liner connection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I am getting ready to install an insulated flex liner in one of my chimneys for a PE Vista. I haven't decided on the venting company I'm going to buy from but I thought that for simplicity on a top vent stove that I could just hook up the liner to the stove with a flex adapter.

However, one of the vendors I have been speaking with says that I have to use a tee. The chimney is about 17 feet high from the top of the stove, ( I know most chimney measurements are taken from the firebox floor), but I would like to seat the stove a bit deeper in the fireplace and I don't think I could do this with a tee and have it remain straight up and down. Given almost all inserts are top vent which connect vertically to the chimney, is there any reason why one couldn't connect a free-standing stove directly to the liner? It also seems a fair bit cheaper that way.

It isn't a dime cheaper but it is done all of the time. Mine is almost all the way in the back of the fireplace and required a 30 degree elbow to mate with the liner because of the smoke shelf. A 15 degree would have worked also. The stainless elbow costs the same as a tee.

If it is Rockford you are talking to Brian wouldn't know a chimney if it fell on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.