Chimney Liner question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfish

Feb 16, 2015
Northern Maine
Hello everyone this is my first post to this forum! I have lurked for a while and picked up a lot of info already.

I have a problem that I am searching for a solution too. I have used the search function on this forum, but not really seen what I need.

I live in a house that was built in the 1850's and I am looking to put a woodstove into one of the old chimneys. The chimney in question is an interior, brick chimney, and I am looking to put the stove on the first floor of the home. It looks to me like the chimney had some considerable work done at some point, as it is lined with a 7.25 by 7.25 inside diameter clay liner, that seems to be in decent shape. However I have seen that all the floors and ceilings etc. are in contact with the outside of the brick, and it is therefore not to code. I want to install an insulated liner into the chimney. The run to the top is approximately 20 feet. I don't believe right now that I can get an insulated liner in there due to the inside diameter of the clay. Would a 5.5 insulated liner work for me? Would the stove performance suffer from this? Are there any other options out there for this situation? Rigid liner possibly?

My options to have someone break out the liner in my area is quite limited. I likely would have to have someone travel quite a ways to get to my home, so I am trying to avoid that if at all possible.

If it matters I am looking at installing some sort of non cat steel stove. I have owned a Lopi in a previous home and loved it. I am looking at something like another Lopi, Quadrafire, or Napoleon with around a 2-2.5 cu foot firebox.

Go for the 5.5" insulated. It should work fine. Some Napoleon stoves seem to want a stronger draft. I've found that Lopi and Pacific Energy stoves will work with a bit lower draft without a performance hit.

Begreen,
This is probably a stupid question, but what is the procedure for going from the 5.5 snout from the liner to the 6" stove collar? Is there some sort of adapter made for that? I need to pass through the brick and then through a layer of drywall that is about 2" away from the brick.

Also would you suggest a pre insulated type 5.5 liner, or just wrap one myself? Thanks!

If it's close I might prefer a pre-insulated liner. But if the tiles are clean without mortar blobs and it is a straight shot down then exterior wrap should work. The transition to 6" is done at the liner to appliance connector.

Begreen,
"The transition to 6" is done at the liner to appliance connector." I am sorry but I am not sure I understand what you mean by this? Does this mean that the snout that connects to the liner is 6"? Or do you mean that I would need to buy 5.5 stove pipe (double wall) to go to the stove from the liner? I apologize but I want to be sure I understand this correctly. Thank you for your patience and info!

"The transition to 6" is done at the liner to appliance connector." I am sorry but I am not sure I understand what you mean by this? Does this mean that the snout that connects to the liner is 6"? Or do you mean that I would need to buy 5.5 stove pipe (double wall) to go to the stove from the liner? I apologize but I want to be sure I understand this correctly. Thank you for your patience and info!
I would transition to 6" right as it exits the wall so put your adapter on the snout and run 6" from there.

yes, thanks bholler. I was thinking this was a fireplace install.

Status
Not open for further replies.