chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgruber

Aug 24, 2006
Hello-

I recently had a wood insert installed along with a stainless steel chimney liner. The top half of the liner is rigid and then connected to a flex section which runs to the insert. The two sections were connected together by slipping the rigid inside the flex and then securing with screws. Does anyone know if this is a proper connection method? Or should the installer have used some type of adapter?

Also, I was wondering about the connection of the flex section to the insert itself. I believe a 'flex adapter' was used at that point but the fit was not real tight. It was connected with screws, though. Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

jgruber said:
Hello-

I recently had a wood insert installed along with a stainless steel chimney liner. The top half of the liner is rigid and then connected to a flex section which runs to the insert. The two sections were connected together by slipping the rigid inside the flex and then securing with screws. Does anyone know if this is a proper connection method? Or should the installer have used some type of adapter?

Also, I was wondering about the connection of the flex section to the insert itself. I believe a 'flex adapter' was used at that point but the fit was not real tight. It was connected with screws, though. Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Both sound right......

At the insert, some use furnace cement or gasket to make a tighter seal.

That sounds pretty standard. They could have used an adapter to go from the ridgid to the flex but really the only reason one would want to do that is if the ridgid didn't fit into the flex too well.

For you liner to be fully listed and code approved all components and installation must be adhered to as set forth in the stove manual and the liner manufactures manual If the manufacture list the connection bt= made by its own adapter then that is the way required.

You have to go back and review the stove installation manual and the liner pipe maker listings

Status
Not open for further replies.