1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

chimney liner question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jgruber, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgruber

jgruber New Member

Hello-

I recently had a wood insert installed along with a stainless steel chimney liner. The top half of the liner is rigid and then connected to a flex section which runs to the insert. The two sections were connected together by slipping the rigid inside the flex and then securing with screws. Does anyone know if this is a proper connection method? Or should the installer have used some type of adapter?

Also, I was wondering about the connection of the flex section to the insert itself. I believe a 'flex adapter' was used at that point but the fit was not real tight. It was connected with screws, though. Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Both sound right......

At the insert, some use furnace cement or gasket to make a tighter seal.
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    That sounds pretty standard. They could have used an adapter to go from the ridgid to the flex but really the only reason one would want to do that is if the ridgid didn't fit into the flex too well.
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

For you liner to be fully listed and code approved all components and installation must be adhered to as set forth in the stove manual and the liner manufactures manual If the manufacture list the connection bt= made by its own adapter then that is the way required.

You have to go back and review the stove installation manual and the liner pipe maker listings
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.