chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ledwards

Aug 19, 2009
WNC
For a 20’ chimney that has a 7" terracotta liner, what would be better, an insulated 5.5-inch liner or an uninsulated 6-inch liner?

well, i would first want to find out what the condition of the terra cotta liner is. Most are cracked. Technically, UL1777 states that liners have to be insulated to be installed per there listing. But NFP211 states that liners should not be any smaller then the flue collar. So, in reality, i would insulate a 5.5 as first choice if the clay liner is in bad shape. If its in good condition i would go 6" un insulated. It will be easier to pull. I would also recommend rigid liner, its thicker, drafts better, and its easier to clean.

MountainStoveGuy said:
well, i would first want to find out what the condition of the terra cotta liner is. Most are cracked. Technically, UL1777 states that liners have to be insulated to be installed per there listing. But NFP211 states that liners should not be any smaller then the flue collar. So, in reality, i would insulate a 5.5 as first choice if the clay liner is in bad shape. If its in good condition i would go 6" un insulated. It will be easier to pull. I would also recommend rigid liner, its thicker, drafts better, and its easier to clean.

Double wall rigid is insulated too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.