Chimney liners to avoid for a wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cat

Feb 27, 2013
I'm learing that there are a lot of different liners available and each dealer has their own favorite. Some are expensive and some are cheap. They are all SS and UL listed. Are there any brands/types that should be avoided? Thanks.

tom

I've yet to hear of a brand to avoid now that I think of it.

I'll say this, the masonry chimney that I added a SS liner to at my place wasn't in very bad shape. Since things were decent, I didn't worry about spending big bucks on it. Also, the way it was installed for my situation it could be pulled out and replaced w/out too much difficulty.

If I was installing one in an unlined chimney (just brick no clay liners) or a chimney that had significant damage, I think I would be more apt to spend some extra cash and buy a heavier duty liner.

pen

Hi - i went with a UL listed rigid liner. I used 1/4" snap around insulation and it works well. I'd do it again. Easy install and no issues since 2006.

Some are expensive and some are cheap. They are all SS and UL listed.

Other ways in which the differ:

• Some are rigid and some are flexible.
  • Some are smooth inside and some are rougher.
  • The steel varies in thickness.
  • Some rigid liners have built-in insulation
It might help to consider which attributes matter to you or might be good or bad in your particular situation.

With < 15 feet and straight (except for a small bend by the damper), I was looking for a product where I only need to buy 15 feet and leaning toward thicker wall construction. I don't think I need the flexibility of thin wall and so this would seem like a poor place to save a few bucks.. I haven't considered a rigid liner, but that may be a possibility.

tom

Rigid insulated double wall with the insulation already built in between the shells. Love it!

I have the rigid and like the smooth inside for cleaning, + I like the stiffness of it when cleaning.
Sounds like what Hogwild has would be the cats meow IMO, or the snap around insulation kind.
What ever you go with there should be some deals starting this time of year, more/better for your money :)

Sorry for the multiple posts was getting an error that the website was down.

Status
Not open for further replies.