Chimney Mason Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesinAK

Nov 9, 2013
SE Alaska
Not sure where to post this but thought I would start here. We had all but decided we were going to replace our oil heater with a wood stove. Well, we are still exploring possibilities and may look at adding a fireplace insert. The problem is, we have a chimney that runs up through the center of our house. They used to have a wood stove vent up through it but have covered it and now run the vent for the oil stove up the chimney. Don't even get me started on how weird this setup is (this would be the reason we are exploring options).
My question is, can I somehow cut into/reconstruct the chimney to put a fireplace inside of it? I am going to attach picture to show what we have. Not even sure where I would start with who to contact?
Thanks for any helpful ideas.

Jules

445.jpg

Did it have a fireplace before?

then probably not what size is the flue?

Yes that is what i mean and what material is it clay or stainless?

Just have the chimney inspected and if it is good and sized right plug a stove in there but i might very well need a stainless liner. Even if it was possible to do a fireplace it would be very expensive and a freestanding stove will heat better anyway

Putting in a nice wood stove is perhaps the only option in lieu of a complete tearout. The chimney is probably not sized correctly for a fireplace. Fortunately putting in a nice wood stove is much less expensive and there are some beautiful stoves that have a great fire view.

Many thanks for the replies. We were hoping to save some space by inserting something into the chimney but I guess that may not be an option for us. I am certainly not adverse to a nice looking stove so we will continue with that as an option.
Thanks again for your helpful replies. :)
Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.