chimney materials markup/install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Hearth Supporter
Jan 9, 2008
WNC
I recently got two quotes to install a Woodstock stove in a room we'll be finishing up in the basement by the end of October. We'll be going through a cinderblock wall and up, the installer folks estimate that we'll need 16' of pipe once we're outside of the house.

One estimate is $3100. The second estimate is $1633. I felt okay with the lower estimate, but when the business emailed me the estimate, I cross-referenced their materials with offerings online, and the online prices are quite a bit lower. For example, the cheaper estimate quoted me $425 for an Airjet through the wall kit (part number 6sotk); online, I can get them for $250 or so. I'd have to throw in money on shipping, of course, but I don't think shipping would be $175, which is the difference in price.

So, for folks in the know, is this pretty much a standard practice in the industry for materials to be marked up that much?

And, I feel inclined to haggle--for those folks who have had installers install their stoves, was the first estimate the final estimate, or do installers sometimes come down in price?

I realize that the guys at the business have to make a living, but I'm not really comfortable with spending more than I should.

I'm not in the stove business, but I am in the over the road tractor trailer ins. industry.
With the cost of fuel these days, I have seen shipping prices triple in the last year or so.
The kit depending on size & weight, could very well need to be shipped via freight carrier if too big or heavy by UPS or Fed EX standards.
Cargo freight charges could very well be in the $100 to $175 range.
Worst case scenario, purchase it yourself, but you may also have to install yourself. Any business that supplies parts & labor, makes their profit on both the labor and parts.
When I deal with repair shops, typical parts markup is in the 20-25% range over shops cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.