• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Corinnebhappy

Sep 30, 2023
Western Massachusestts
We just had our thimble moved from one room to another in a small concrete block chimney so we can have our wood stove in the living room.

My issue is clearance for the stove pipe exiting the wall. There is a 2x4 inside the wall within 3" of the stainless pipe that enters the flue. I think I can cut that 2x4 out but I'm not entirely positive it's not load bearing. I don't think it is.
Second issue is even if I do cut that out, the pipe will be within 3-4" of the adjacent wall since this is a corner installation. I'm frustrated. I paid a significant amount for a 'professional' to cut out the new thimble into the living room and close up the thimble on the other side (kitchen where i want my refrigerator) and line the chimney plus plug another hole and change the cleanout door. They did a sub-par job for an over-par price.

Our wood stove will arrive today or tomorrow. We have NO other heat in this house and it's getting quite cold out as we are in New England and it's October tomorrow. I need to be able to burn immediately.

I'm just looking for advice on how to safely install this through the wall and burn straight away. I'm at a total loss on what is going to be the correct type of wall thimble/protection/pipe type to make this even remotely safe. I feel defeated and desperate.

flue 1.jpg Flue 2.jpg

Yes, they messed up. It will need a clearance reducing thimble but it doesn't look like there is enough room to install properly. Typically, the framed opening must be at least 15" x 15".

Last edited:
The setup I installed I needed a 16” on center box framed out that the insulated thimble fit into. So the inside diameter of the box would have been something like 15x15.

There are installation instructions on that page also to give you more in depth information.

do you have any suggestions for a solution that will work?

Yes, they messed up. It will need a clearance reducing thimble but it doesn't look like there is enough room to install properly. Typically, the framed opening must be at least 15" x 15".

do you have any suggestions for a solution that will work?
Not sure. We need a larger overview of that location to know if it presents options or not.