chimney pipe clean intervals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first year burning for heat. I've got a freestanding woodstove with 6" SS pipe. How often should it be brushed out to clean? Its been running 24/7 for the past three and a half months.

Thanks!

Clean when needed, but during your first year of burning it's wise to check your system at least monthly to get a feel for how clean you are burning (which will really be determined by your wood, more than anything).

I'll second that.

There are different factors involved. The type of wood you are burning and how long that wood has seasoned, not to mention how you burn the stove or how much draft the chimney has.

We put up a new SS chimney in 2007 and have yet to clean it. However, we have a very clean burning stove and very well seasoned wood. I know what the wood is too instead of someone just telling me it is seasoned.

I have been burning a long time, only about 3 years with the new epa insert, I still check it every month or so weather permitting. I cleaned mine for the first time this season a few weeks ago. It really did not need it but I was already there with the brushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.