Chimney Pipe - Selkirk or Simpson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwilson

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2008
Northwest Ohio
I'm putting in a new wood stove and new chimney. I can locally get either Simpson (Dura-Vent) or Selkirk (SuperVent) chimney. Our local Menards is having a sale on the SuperVent, in which I can save around $200. Any opinions on which brand is better? Both have great warranties, are stainless-steel, and meet all UL requirements...

Let the battle begin!

Both of these pass the test of quality... and both pass UL tests for safety...I would choose what is cheapest and most available in your area

we at ESW have always recommended simpson pipe , but we work with them in testing and advertising. that said , the selkirk and supervent pipes meet the same standards and are from what i have heard are just as good a quality pipe. im not as familiar personally with the others , but have used simpson extensively and have never had an issue . i would also state that simpson does have a superb customer service department. i do not know how the others handle their customer service as i do not carry them and may be a s well.

maybe a dealer of the other brands can chime in and describe these topics for their brands.

I have the selkirk, sturdy as heck durring install and holding up fine!

Mike Holten is very good at what he does... And I do have one of his Englander stoves and did go with the Dura Vent line of pipe, but I can't honestly say Dura-Vent is better than the Selkirk line. Ask "Be Green", he a master wood burner and I defer to him

I don't believe that triple wall is made any more or comonly used! I may be wrong.

Just installed a Selkirk chimney that I bought at lowes, easy and simple to assemble, Went to Home Depot with the intent of buying a Simpson DuraVent Chimney system, found out they only had 1 3ft lenth in stock.. asked if I could order more they told me that it was a stock item and I could not order it. Went 2 miles down the road to Lowe's bought everything I needed and they had over 50 3ft lenths of chimney. Also spent nearly 20% less and got everything I needed. Roof Kit w/ceiling support, 12ft of Class A chimney, locking bands, and telescoping double wall stove pipe with stove and chimney adapters for under $500. At Home Depot it would have been well over $700. Easy to install--we put a new roof on at the same time and the holes were already there from a previous install.

Funny thing I used my Home Depot/Master Card to make the purchase

Valhalla said:
I don't believe that triple wall is made any more or comonly used! I may be wrong.

Triple-wall chimney is still used. Simpson's DuraTech is double-wall and DuraPlus is triple-wall (I believe).

rwilson said:
burntime, is your chimney double or triple wall? I can only get the double-wall chimney and double-wall stove pipe here.

I actually have a fireplace insert so it is a single wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.