Chimney Pipe???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WidowMaker

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2008
Central Washington
New guy here, been lurking for awhile. Now have a question..I posted this on the Arborstist board but haven't gotten any responses as of yet...

I came across this while searching for an on-line source for double and triple wall pipe...

" When we purchased our stove this year, I asked about triple wall stove pipe, and was told that it is not allowed in code any more...(I guess code is now double wall insulated stove pipe)"

Can anybody provide any "code knowledge" input on this subject. A link to appropriate code source would be appreciated...TIA

WidowMaker

The simpson duravent triple wall pipe is just like the double wall except it has an extra air insulation chamber which is supposed to keep the flue warmer and give better draft. According to their brochure both are fine to use for solid fuel. We only use the double wall because it doesn't make sense to pay extra for the other stuff when the double wall works just fine.

The person that said triple wall was not allowed was probably thinking of the old air cooled systems many prefab ZC wood boxes used. Its not against code to use it that I know of, but no one uses it anymore. Most have switched to a double wall system now which uses the same air cooling system. Neither of these air cooled pipe are safe or allowed to be used for a EPA wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.