chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmei007

Nov 12, 2007
Boston MA
We have a chimney which has two flues one for first floor wood stove and one for basement wood stove. Our house is a ranch. We bought it 3 yrs ago. This year we started using the first floor wood stove to heat our house. We love it. But I noticed when we use the first floor stove, the basement became smoke smell, not that strong but it is obviously sensible.

I checked the basement wood stove gate. It was in the close position. How to avoid this? do I need to add a separate board at the top of the chimney to void smoke from one flu to another?

thanks,

If your not going to use the downstairs stove, just toss a peice of slate over that tile. If you still want to use both, you can extend one chimney tile higher than the other by a foot or two. Its most likely that negative pressure common in basement chimneys is just drawing the smoke down into the room. raising the upstairs chimney should help or eliminate the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.