Chimney questions for wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is it unreasonable for me to request that the contract specifies the CSIA sweep himself be present for the install? His technician seemed like a really nice guy, but I didn't feel very confident about his knowledge given what he told me vs. how things actually worked out.
I dont think it is unreasonable. That does not mean he will do it but i would mention it to them.

That makes sense, bholler. I hadn't considered that the distortion in the chimney would prevent a wrapped liner. I'm glad to be moving forward with all of this, this fellow's quote looks reasonable to me and I like the fact that he's certified. I just want to make sure he'll be doing the work or at least supervising it himself.

this fellow's quote looks reasonable to me and I like the fact that he's certified. I just want to make sure he'll be doing the work or at least supervising it himself.
From the limited info you gave us the quote sounds reasonable also. Being certified is a good start but there are certifed guys out there that are not very good and uncertifed guys who are very good. you should check references and their reputation more than the certification. In fact we will not be renewing or csia cert when it runs out. It costs allot of money and for us it does not matter that much our reputation speaks for itself and our customers don't care if we are certified or not. I am not bashing csia in any way at all we just don't see then need for it in our market.

I'll be hiring him to take down the old chimney to the roof line and rebuild, including new flashing and whatnot, to install the new liner and cap, and to install the Progress Hybrid. I'm debating having him build a hearth or buy a hearth pad from somewhere like Hearth Classics. I'm a little concerned about weight if he builds a hearth. The PH isn't exactly light and nimble.

I'm a little concerned about weight if he builds a hearth. The PH isn't exactly light and nimble.
If he is any good he will be taking that into account

Status
Not open for further replies.