Chimney recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mnpellet

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2018
Northern Minnesota
Just looking for opinions on a good brand of class A chimney. Menards has supervent but not sure on quality. Stove dealer has excel but I know that it will be high priced. Not something I want to go cheap on and if its worth the money then I’ll get the good stuff. Chimney will be first floor of 2 story straight up and have a metal roof. Thanks

I used Selkirk Ultimate One on a new install last year and love it for its ease of assembly/disassembly - it uses locking bands to hold the sections together so no wrestling with twistlock sections to get things together/apart. I've pulled mine down twice this winter, one person job.

I used the Menards 6in for my cabin. Was about 1/3 the price of any other options. Also saved 11%. Chimney installation went great and drafts very well. Use the online PDF to plan your installation/parts required. Check all the parts and chimney sections for shipping damage before they go in the cart. Very pleased with my purchase.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

SuperVent is made by Selkirk, Metalbestos, only sold through Menards , Tractor Supply, Lowe's...Not the top of their line but a good pipe. It is not interchangeable with their other Selkirk pipes, so if you need more it must be the SuperVent line. Make sure that Menards will also have the other components, Finishing Support Package, Chimney Pipe Adapter, Attic Insulation Shield,Flashing, Storm Collar, Cap...

I’ve had mine for 3 seasons with no problems. You can get some very good deals if you’re lucky enough to get sale pricing. Think I paid $75 per 3’ section.

I’ve heard of people having issues from water running down the seam and getting inside the pipe and eventually into your house.(not welded like the more expensive brands). No such problems here though.... I put a thin layer of clear silicon on the seams for peace of mind. Only the sections above the roof line need it.

Was speaking of the Supervent

I honestly dont know selkirks lines. But i would absolutly avoid pipe with a crimped seam instead of a welded seam. The crimped seam causes water problems. And i personally cant stand the locking bands

The Super-Vent from Menards is just fine. It's tested to the same standard as other pipe, and is just as durable. The seam can draw water in some situations, not all though. Just run a thin bead of clear silicone up the seam and you wont have any issues.

The Super-Vent from Menards is just fine. It's tested to the same standard as other pipe, and is just as durable. The seam can draw water in some situations, not all though. Just run a thin bead of clear silicone up the seam and you wont have any issues.
Yes it is tested to the same standard so it is every bit as safe. But that doesnt mean it is as durable. The fact that you need to caulk the seems to keep water out means it is not as durable.

Yes it is tested to the same standard so it is every bit as safe. But that doesnt mean it is as durable. The fact that you need to caulk the seems to keep water out means it is not as durable.
Well, for the do it yourselfer it's a quality product. A small bead of caulk isn't a big deal considering the cost savings. And you've got silicone on the roof already.

Well, for the do it yourselfer it's a quality product. A small bead of caulk isn't a big deal considering the cost savings. And you've got silicone on the roof already.
Yes but you have to redo it every few years. I am not saying it is a bad product at all. Just welded seam stuff is better

Could you recommend a brand with welded seam? I want quality chimney.
Most manufacturers have a higher quality line with a welded seam. I know selkirk does. Excel is welded as is ventis which is sold to the public under the champion name

Yes but you have to redo it every few years. I am not saying it is a bad product at all. Just welded seam stuff is better
True, most silicone only has a 50 year warranty, give or take...

True, most silicone only has a 50 year warranty, give or take...
Yeah and are you really claiming it sticks to stainless even when cleaned properly for more thsn a couple years? Come on you know better than that.

Yeah and are you really claiming it sticks to stainless even when cleaned properly for more thsn a couple years? Come on you know better than that.
I was just funnin, it doesn't hold for all that long. We have been using a new product for about 4 years now that holds up better than any silicone i've ever seen.

I was just funnin, it doesn't hold for all that long. We have been using a new product for about 4 years now that holds up better than any silicone i've ever seen.
Ok sorry. We use through the roof in most situations above the roof now.

I see excel has a good roof flashing for a metal roof but not seeing that with some of the other brands. What flashing would be used with supervent? Not wanting to use rubber.

You can use excel's metal roof flashing for other chimney pipe as long as the OD matches.

The Supervent stuff from Menards is just fine. I installed some on my old house and it is 24 years old now and still works great (burned 24/7 in it). Installed on new house now and again works very well. The locking band is a secondary lock after the twist lock of the pipe itself - not a big deal, takes about 30s with the screw or nut driver. Menards carries everything that you will need for the install, especially if is just a simple straight up install (that is what I have - 21' of the SS pipe + my black pipe interior). If you can find a situation where you can get it on sale and the 11% off, you can get it for about $22/ft if you are purchasing the 3' sections. There are no issues on the durability - I don't get where that is coming from. I brush mine every two years (1-2 pints of powder) and the exterior looks fine. Same SS as the other pipe. The stuff I have in my current house will be there long after I am dead, which hopefully will be ~50 years or so out in the future.

The Supervent stuff from Menards is just fine. I installed some on my old house and it is 24 years old now and still works great (burned 24/7 in it). Installed on new house now and again works very well. The locking band is a secondary lock after the twist lock of the pipe itself - not a big deal, takes about 30s with the screw or nut driver. Menards carries everything that you will need for the install, especially if is just a simple straight up install (that is what I have - 21' of the SS pipe + my black pipe interior). If you can find a situation where you can get it on sale and the 11% off, you can get it for about $22/ft if you are purchasing the 3' sections. There are no issues on the durability - I don't get where that is coming from. I brush mine every two years (1-2 pints of powder) and the exterior looks fine. Same SS as the other pipe. The stuff I have in my current house will be there long after I am dead, which hopefully will be ~50 years or so out in the future.
The things i commented on are based on many years of experince cleaning inspecting and working on many hungreds of chimneys. Yes supervent is fine it will work well. But the fit and finish is not as nice as the higher end stuff. The components are not as easy to work with and if it has a crimped seam that can let water in which comprimises the insulation and eventually corrodes the chimney. I have also had sections come apart when cleaning if those locking bands arent in the right position or not tight enough. That is why i prefer the ones with screws.

But again the lower end pipe is every bit as safe as long as it is installed correctly and it should give you a good life if not abused.

The average life we are seeing out of class a chimneys is about 30 years if used for wood and burnt 24/7 in the winter. But they have changed the insulation they use and changed the way they do the ends so the newer stuff may last longer. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the replies guys. If one pipe was even a little bit safer it would be a easy decision but if it for ease of installation I can put in a little more work to save several hundred dollars. I really like the flashing excel has for metal roofs but if a can use that on the supervent I might just do that. I debated on which stove for quite a while so I can think on this for a while to I guess. Lol

Thanks for all the replies guys. If one pipe was even a little bit safer it would be a easy decision but if it for ease of installation I can put in a little more work to save several hundred dollars. I really like the flashing excel has for metal roofs but if a can use that on the supervent I might just do that. I debated on which stove for quite a while so I can think on this for a while to I guess. Lol
Yeah they are all tested to the same saftey standards. The only stuff i would really recomend against is the triple wall stuff.