Chimney repair before installing new liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canardly

Feb 24, 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hi All,
I've been visiting this site for a couple of weeks after deciding to install a wood burning stove in the living room of the 1946-built brick Cape Cod style home my wife and I are buying in March. The seller of the home volunteered the information that a few years ago he had the top three tiles replaced on the external brick chimney (due to spalling) and recently he'd been noticing some chips in the fireplace from spalling again. A recent inspection ordered by the seller showed the fourth tile down from the top (as he described it to me) needed replacing and he received a bid for $1100 to replace the tile. This amount will be credited to me as an adjustment on the sale price of the home.

I plan on installing a modest sized stove (likely a Jotul F-3) and would like to have a full liner installed as well. My question for the forum is would it be advisable to do the repair on the tile even with plans for a full liner? Or just put the money on the purchase of the stove/liner?

Many thanks for your advice!

If you are lining the chimney anyway, I'd just use the $$$ to help pay for the liner and installation.
Once you take possesion, you might want to invite a chimney sweep down to give you a quote on an installed liner, this way he'll check the chimney to see how bad it really is. Also you'll know if it is worth doing it yourself, or just letting him do it.

Go with a full insulated liner regardless of whether the tile is fixed or not. This won't stop the next tile from spalling, but it will allow you to burn safely.

We're having an insulated liner put in next week and they are going to remove all of the tiles in our chimney before they install the liner.

I second getting a reputable chimney sweep (note the "reputable" part -- we had a very bad experience with a local one here) to check it out. Could be that to install the liner, they would have to remove the tiles, which makes repairing them a non-issue.

Could be that in order to fit the liner + insulation they needed to remove the tiles to create more space.

I agree that relining with a stainless liner is the best way to go and less expensive than the repair, whether you install it yourself or have it done. Make sure you know some of the basic information before you start, like the height of the flue you'll be lining, inside diameter of the flue (to make sure the new one fits), plan on the blanket insulation adding about 1.5" to the OD of your liner, if you have clay tile sticking out the chimney top and outside dimension of it if your going to put a terra-cotta top plate on it. I would also agree that an inspection and cleaning may be in order before you start.

Canardly said:
Many thanks, Guys. We're in the house now and I'm looking forward to having the stove. My only problem will be when my wife sees what a nice stove actually costs.

If you'd like I'll mail you a fake invoice showing a $300 stove.
After your bruises heal your wife will be very happy when she sees what a good stove can do for your heating bills and comfort.

If she kicks you out, I'm sure you can shack up with one of us.

Did you end up deciding on the Jotul 3?

Franks said:
Canardly said:
Many thanks, Guys. We're in the house now and I'm looking forward to having the stove. My only problem will be when my wife sees what a nice stove actually costs.

If you'd like I'll mail you a fake invoice showing a $300 stove.
After your bruises heal your wife will be very happy when she sees what a good stove can do for your heating bills and comfort.

If she kicks you out, I'm sure you can shack up with one of us.

Did you end up deciding on the Jotul 3?

I'm thinking about a Hearthstone Homestead as my living room is pretty small and this might modify some of the harshness of the heat. I don't need a very big stove (how many rookies have said this?).

Status
Not open for further replies.