Chimney rods and drill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
Quick question. I normally clean from the top to bottom on my chimney. It is about a 30 ft straight run right into the stove. Can I do a bottom up cleaning using the traditional flexible rods using a drill? I would attach the brush head, and each rod, then attach it to the drill and use it like a soot eater on a low drill setting. I would then take apart each flexible rod as I get towards the bottom. Thoughts?

That’s how I do it with my soot eater. I have only 15’ of flue. If you don’t have too many bents I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

If they are threaded rods it would be a real pain to get them apart afterwards and if the brush is to tight it will cause a problem

Reactions: fespo
I do a lot. Ive made an adapter to connect the rods to my cordless drill. I also made a tee to fit on the top of the rods with a short section of chain on both sides. I run it up the pipe and into the cap then spin it up, the chain spins out against the cap screen knocking off most of the crud. If it binds up the torque of the drill will destroy one or more of the rods.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quick question. I normally clean from the top to bottom on my chimney. It is about a 30 ft straight run right into the stove. Can I do a bottom up cleaning using the traditional flexible rods using a drill? I would attach the brush head, and each rod, then attach it to the drill and use it like a soot eater on a low drill setting. I would then take apart each flexible rod as I get towards the bottom. Thoughts?
Be real careful, I cleaned mine top down with fiberglass rods and cordless drill. Holding one hand on rod to guide it the brush bound up and rod splintered giving me a hand full of fiberglass splinters.

I’d just buy a soot eater and be done with it. They are pretty inexpensive and won’t tear up your pipe or self-destruct

Reactions: fespo and Jazzberry
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will avoid it!

I clean mine from bottom up. I put a garbage bage around my ceiling support box with the brush head in it then poke a hole in and put the rod through and just connect a new rod when I get to the end. Putting the bag over the pipe collects all the dust and soot so nothing gets in the house.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Soot Eaters are amazing. They are like an upside down weed whacker that you do from the bottom of your stove. Super easy.

Davo, Sooteater will do it even with a cordless drill.
I have a wall thimble so i go up from bottom at the T from outside.
I still have to pull the inside stovepipe manually.
Love my Sooteater, my chimney is close to 30, i had to buy extra set of rods.
got mine at Ace Hardware

I clean mine from bottom up. I put a garbage bage around my ceiling support box with the brush head in it then poke a hole in and put the rod through and just connect a new rod when I get to the end. Putting the bag over the pipe collects all the dust and soot so nothing gets in the house.
That's how I cleaned the pipe at my last house, worked a charm.