Chimney solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
How does this look for a chimney solution? Am I missing anything? Will be going in an alcove that is 73" high floor to ceiling, stove is 32" high. Alcove is going where old ZC fireplace was, and extending the height up to 73" (to follow clearance height requirement). Excel pipe will run through the chimney chase where the old pipe was. Assume all other clearances are ok (just making sure I have the pipe/accessories I need). I will also need some flashing added where the pipe comes out of the chimney chase because the old pipe was 8" ID.

Planning on using all 6" ICC pipe:

Excel:
Deluxe cap - 6EDRC
3 each 48" Excel - 6EL48
Stainless storm collar - ESSC
Round ceiling support - 6ERDS
Flat ceiling trim ring - 6ECT (if it doesn't come with the support)

Ultrablack:
2 each 5" straight - 6UB5F
2 each 15 degree elbow - 6UB15
2 each 6" slip - 6UB6SF
18" straight - 6UB18F
Trim collar? - UBTC (needed for BK princess?)

Chimney solution

Will this be for the BK Princess?

It's not clear how this is going to be sealed at the top of the chase. Where is the roof flashing? That's what the storm collar sits on. Also, for fewer joints I would use longer slip pieces for the offset ( 6UB12SF.)

Last edited:
Yes, for a BK Princess. The pipe that is in there now (for the fireplace) sticks out of the chimney chase only about 6-8", so I was going to do the same with the new pipe. My current setup is close to this.. http://www.fireplacesnow.com/Chimney_Chase_Info.asp

So where the old 8" pipe ran, I plan to run the 6".. so will have to add some flashing & new storm collar at the top where the pan flashing is. I also thought I needed a storm collar to go around the pipe just above (on top of) the ceiling support so that insulation doesn't fall up against the pipe by the ceiling??

I guess I will also have to add flashing to the firestop to seal that off due to the pipe diameter difference. Assuming there is a fire stop ;)

Thanks for the idea on the offset. That's the one part that I'll have to wait on till I rip out the fireplace. Based on how much offset I need once I get the back wall in, I'll adjust the slip length to get the desired offset.

Sound like a sound plan so far?

It looks like the ceiling is too low. Can it be raised? Also, if you can slant the ceiling so that it slopes slightly upward towards the room opening it will vent better.
Chimney solution

I saw that too on their website, but the manual says 72" min height with fan and side shields for an alcove (roof exit). It does say in the manual that if single wall pipe is used (in Canada), for a wall installation where the pipe enters the wall 18" from the ceiling, that the min ceiling height is 79.375".. maybe that's what they were referring to and just didn't want to qualify it more?

This is a place where I would err on the side of caution. Most stoves require an 84" (7ft) ceiling minimum. Contact BK for clarification and consider using Durock NexGen or similar cement board for the ceiling.

I see the same caveat for alcove dimensions at the bottom of the page 13. Alcove height is higher because of the heat trapping in the alcove. That's why I suggested a slight slope to the ceiling.

I'll double check with BKVP on the ceiling height.

I was thinking of doing the whole alcove in Durock or Hardibacker... Looks like my width between the 2x4 frame of the firepalce is 49". So even after adding walls I'll be > 47". Was still planning on putting a non-combustible decorative wall of some sort 1" out from the wall as extra precaution.

Does that Durock NexGen paint up ok? Or do you put a skim coat on it to smooth it out a bit first?

Pipe solution sound like I have that under control?

Yes, they are a little inconsistent between the table and what is written below the table..

Durock nexgen has a higher insulation value. It has a smooth side but I'm not sure how nicely it would paint up.

The top of the chase flashing is still unclear.

Yes, that was my thought. Then it gets a storm collar siliconed on the top edge.

As soon as the Excel pipe comes out of the cone in the flashing it's going into the Deluxe Rain Cap. Would I still need a storm collar, or could I just silicone around where the flashing meets the pipe?

I don't have to go very high out of my chimney chase as it's already a proper distance away from the nearest roof piece.

I PM'd BKVP about the alcove height..

I would definitely use a storm collar on top of the flashing.

Subscribed to your thread. It's very similar to my install with the same pipe. I have to build the chase and make the hearth bigger though.

As soon as the Excel pipe comes out of the cone in the flashing it's going into the Deluxe Rain Cap. Would I still need a storm collar, or could I just silicone around where the flashing meets the pipe?

I don't have to go very high out of my chimney chase as it's already a proper distance away from the nearest roof piece.

I PM'd BKVP about the alcove height..

Is the alcove height arbitrary? What is determining the low 6ft height?

Just preference, I think it would look better than taking it all the way to the ceiling. Plus the alcove is only going to be 2' deep so I don't see it being a big heat holder. According to that table on page 13, the minimum ceiling height is 72" for all installations except for when the pipe enters the wall.. then because of the min 2' of stove pipe before the 90 degree turn, and the height of the stove, the ceiling height gets bumped up. That's how I read it anyway.

I did get a PM back from BKVP saying it is 49" above the stovetop.. but then that makes it 49 + 31 11/16 = 80 11/16".. so yet another height..

confuzed.........

49" over the stove top is what I posted in #4

What is Column J referring to where it has 72" for minimum height?

Error? Ask BK, looks like an editing oversight to me.

Funny thing is that it has the same 72" min ceiling height for the BK King too.. and it's 35" high...

Sounds like a copy and paste and editorial error. Maybe they need someone to review documentation? Usually it's 84". But maybe they tested to that spec in an open room? This would be like a low basement with joist bottoms at 73". We had a basement like that in our last house. Good thing I am only 68" tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.