Chimney structural basic questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It sounds like it has the potential to be exciting though! Nobody tells good stories about how they went to the supermarket and found their favorite bag of chips on the endcap.
Hot tub for the sparrows?

Reactions: Newbie78
That is definitely an interesting install to say the least.

OP- no way should you try to walk on a 9/12 pitch metal roof. Figure out some safer method, like ladders as mentioned. 6/12 is even touch and go walking with no safety tie off. Don’t ask me how I know. 😩

That is definitely an interesting install to say the least.
Lovely, isn't it?

I had a vision of this perfect rubber snorkely thing. Nope! Selkirk's specs said that boot was for up to 10/12 roofs. My roof is 10/12 so I gave it a go. With weather coming and a hole in the roof I stuck it down in its ugly, deformed state. As I said before, selkirk made good on it and a local sheet metal company saved the day.

It looks a lot better with the tin jack over it..

Reactions: weee123
The right way may be a body harness and an osha approved deadman. You can also do a lot with a rope over the ridge, a rope harness and a Prusik knot if you think younger just trying to stop yourself from slipping.

I’d go metal over rubber here.

The right way may be a body harness and an osha approved deadman. You can also do a lot with a rope over the ridge, a rope harness and a Prusik knot if you think younger just trying to stop yourself from slipping.

I’d go metal over rubber here.
We always just use ridge ladders and platforms set up on them.

Reactions: 30WCF
We always just use ridge ladders and platforms set up on them.
I just meant if they chose to use some type of harness. Sounds like they are hesitant to be there regardless of the platform or means. Being tied off to something can be comforting, and a prusik knot lets you easily adjust how much slack is in the tether as you travel. I understand most residential stuff is done without being tied off. Its easy enough to do if it makes one feel better.

Reactions: bholler
I just meant if they chose to use some type of harness. Sounds like they are hesitant to be there regardless of the platform or means. Being tied off to something can be comforting, and a prusik knot lets you easily adjust how much slack is in the tether as you travel. I understand most residential stuff is done without being tied off. Its easy enough to do if it makes one feel better.
Oh absolutely I was by no means saying not to harness up. I personally really don't like to but there are times it's needed

working on a steep roof with out a tied off fall line is nutz. personal experience, roof jacks let go 2 stories up think Wiley Coyote going off a cliff, I managed to ace the landing and only suffered a couple minor fractures in my left hand from the 2 x 12 x8' that smacked me on the way down. Back in those days I was much more agile and bounced, now I just go splat. I dont know the pitch of my roof but it is more than 12 ft to the peak from the floor.