External Temp for 6" x 60" DuraTech Galvanized Chimney Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

High Desert Dennis

Nov 10, 2023
Yucca Valley, CA
Hey there. I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a new home, and I'm running a 2007 D-series Pacific Energy Super 27 that I've put some love into restoring to safe working order.

I also just had my stove pipe set-up upgraded from the previous owner's scary DIY death-trap to a proper installation: appropriate ceiling support box; Duratech Class A chimney pipe; storm collar; spark arrestor. (We're not gonna talk about the weird faux chimney with the rounded stucco top.)

Anyway, I just went outside and used an infrared thermometer gun to take the temp of the pipe where it meets the spark arrestor, and it was between 200º-250º. Is this about right, or should I be concerned? I searched the forum prior to posting and couldn't find an answer.

Outside temp is about 45º right now. Stove top is about 575º-600ºF. Flue pipe is 500º at the bottom (where it exits the stove), and 250º at the top (where it enters the ceiling support box).

Thanks.

IMG_7236.jpeg IMG_7158.jpeg

Last edited:
Good for you on getting that fixed. Is the stove pipe single-wall or double now? The temperature reading sound like the are on the surface of single-wall stove pipe.

250º on the chimney exit is good. You want the flue gases to be hot enough to prevent creosote from condensing on the inside of the chimney pipe. If this is a concern, double-walled stove pipe will keep the flue gases hotter, but a probe thermometer will be needed to read the temp.

Good for you on getting that fixed. Is the stove pipe single-wall or double now? The temperature reading sound like the are on the surface of single-wall stove pipe.

250º on the chimney exit is good. You want the flue gases to be hot enough to prevent creosote from condensing on the inside of the chimney pipe. If this is a concern, double-walled stove pipe will keep the flue gases hotter, but a probe thermometer will be needed to read the temp.
Okay that's really good to know, thanks. The guy who installed it (Mr. Doug, pictured.... great guy, btw) said it's a Duravent cap, and it's the cap's heat making the top part of the pipe hot. Appreciate your more detailed response about the gases.

And yes, it's a single-wall 6" stove pipe.

IMG_7156.jpeg IMG_7157.jpeg

Last edited: